Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is wrong with Store Clerks?

I went to a Dollar Store and bought the following:

1 box of crackers
2 candy bars
1 quart of motor oil
1 pack of 4 AA batteries
1 one liter bottle of soda
1 pack of cold cuts
2 average cans of canned soup
1 package of beef jerky
1 small plastic jar of peanut butter
1 small glass jar of pickles
1 four pack of toilet paper

I easily walked up to the counter with all of this in my hands, except
the soda which was under my arm.

I checked out, paid under $20 for this stuff.
I ended up with SEVEN of those crappy plastic store bags.

It was packed this way.

1 bag just for the motor oil
2 bags (doubled) for the bottle of soda
1 bag for the toilet paper
1 bag just for the cold cuts
1 bag for only the pickles
1 bag for everything else

I asked the clerk why she could not put it all in one bag.
She said oil cant be put with food, soda needs a double bag because of
it's weight, glass jars cant be put with other stuff, anything from the
cooler (cold cuts) must be bagged separately, and the toilet paper was
too big to put in the same bag as other stuff.

I could see the clerk was ****ed, as I emptied all the bags on the
counter. I put everything in one bag, except the toilet paper and the
soda. I told her that the soda is easier to carry without a bag, and the
toilet paper already HAS a bag since it's sealed in plastic.

I left the store ONE bag, plus the toilet paper and soda un-bagged.
Before leaving, I handed her the unneeded six bags and told her to reuse
them. Instead, she tossed them in the garbage.

Then we wonder why we create so much garbage..... and why we're told we
must recycle.

I was really ****ed that she tossed those extra bags in the garbage, so
when I got home, I phoned the company and complained about their clerk
being wasteful. They said they require all the things she said, such as
the oil not being placed in a bag of food and cold cuts separated, etc.
I told them I DO NOT appreciate having to make 3 or more trips from my
car to my house, when I get home, particularly when it's winter (which
it was)......

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 4:42:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I was really ****ed that she tossed those extra bags in the garbage, so
when I got home, I phoned the company and complained about their clerk
being wasteful. They said they require all the things she said, such as
the oil not being placed in a bag of food and cold cuts separated, etc.
I told them I DO NOT appreciate having to make 3 or more trips from my
car to my house, when I get home, particularly when it's winter (which
it was)......

In this instance you were the PITA, and the cause of being wasteful. There's no reason you can't have 3 plastic bags in each hand...did you get yourself some diapers?
Posted to alt.home.repair

bob_villa:

So you support stores' bagging policy, even if
it wastes resesources.

Well I bring my OWN bags to the super market,
and I bag them myself - HEAVY. So there!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

You need to get ****ed at the government , not the clerk. By law, or store
policy the items must be bagged in certain ways.
After items were placed in the bags, they can not be reused.

As Bob said, buy your self some diapers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
[...]

They gave you bags? Wow. That is unheard of around here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/06/2015 04:49 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 4:42:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I was really ****ed that she tossed those extra bags in the garbage, so
when I got home, I phoned the company and complained about their clerk
being wasteful. They said they require all the things she said, such as
the oil not being placed in a bag of food and cold cuts separated, etc.
I told them I DO NOT appreciate having to make 3 or more trips from my
car to my house, when I get home, particularly when it's winter (which
it was)......

In this instance you were the PITA, and the cause of being wasteful. There's no reason you can't have 3 plastic bags in each hand...did you get yourself some diapers?

I agree.

There is no way I'd have motor oil in the same bag with food, etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is wrong with Store Clerks? also...

Forgot to mention:

Most of the time I go to the store I bring my own bags from home to keep
the waste to a minimum. Some stores even give me a credit for the bags .
Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote: "- show quoted text -

There is no way I'd have motor oil in the same bag with food,"

Wimpy 21s century. Just tro' my stuff in the bags so I can
put them in my car and drive home. IZZAT too much to
ask? \:-o

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2015 5:41 PM, wrote:
[...]

You were the guy complaining about spilling a quart of oil on your pants
but don't mind mixing it with your food
Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 3:42:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

The clerk did WHAT SHE WAS TOLD TO DO. You are a complainer. Smarten up.
I managed grocery stores for years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 7:44:16 PM UTC-5, Roy wrote:

The clerk did WHAT SHE WAS TOLD TO DO. You are a complainer. Smarten up.
I managed grocery stores for years.

Well, I am going to have to defend Jerry on some of this as clerks don't really think of how wasteful they can be.

I was at one of Dollar Stores a few months ago and I bought a can or two of soup and a box fabric-safe bleach. She was going to put these items in two separate bags and I told her put those 3 items in one bag. She seem surprised and asked if I really wanted them in one bag and I said yes. She wasn't thinking is all I can surmise; how can a box of fabric-safe bleach harm/contaminate two metal cans of soup?

I've used reusable fabric grocery bags for years and am starting to use the smaller reusable cloth bags for those quick trips to Wal Mart and these 'dollar' stores.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's not the clerks - it's company policy!

Are you going to blame our sodiers for invading
Iraq 12 years ago - or Cheney & Rumsfeld?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 20:37:03 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

You were the guy complaining about spilling a quart of oil on your pants
but don't mind mixing it with your food

What I spilled on my pants was in a drain pan. The quart at the store
was SEALED. If it was leaking, it would have leaked on the shelf before
I picked it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

philo wrote:
On 04/06/2015 04:49 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 4:42:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I was really ****ed that she tossed those extra bags in the garbage, so
when I got home, I phoned the company and complained about their clerk
being wasteful. They said they require all the things she said, such as
the oil not being placed in a bag of food and cold cuts separated, etc.
I told them I DO NOT appreciate having to make 3 or more trips from my
car to my house, when I get home, particularly when it's winter (which
it was)......

In this instance you were the PITA, and the cause of being wasteful.
There's no reason you can't have 3 plastic bags in each hand...did you
get yourself some diapers?

I agree.

There is no way I'd have motor oil in the same bag with food, etc

I like the way they pack. The only thing I do require separate packing are
spray jugs with hazardous soaps and cleaners, which can leak, or even
sealed clorox jugs.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/6/2015 5:49 PM, bob_villa wrote:
On Monday, April 6, 2015 at 4:42:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I was really ****ed that she tossed those extra bags in the garbage, so
when I got home, I phoned the company and complained about their clerk
being wasteful. They said they require all the things she said, such as
the oil not being placed in a bag of food and cold cuts separated, etc.
I told them I DO NOT appreciate having to make 3 or more trips from my
car to my house, when I get home, particularly when it's winter (which
it was)......

In this instance you were the PITA, and the cause of being wasteful. There's no reason you can't have 3 plastic bags in each hand...did you get yourself some diapers?

They probably have a great big recycling bin for bags; at least, grocery
stores have them. If you bring your own bag, then YOU won't be wasting
bags and you have fewer to carry. I keep mine, with my umbrella, in a
door pocket so I can grab them on my way into the store.

It's been a long time since I had a gripe about any store clerk; local
businesses here, whether chain or not, seem to have customer service as
#1 priority...they offer to help as soon as yer in the door. Only
exceptions I've noticed are Sears and KMart, and they seem to be worried
about paying the light bill...rarely find a clerk free to assist,
although they are really nice when one is located. Their stores are
dark and depressing. Local Kroger is not one of the biggest, but sure
know how to manage...day before blizzard or on NY Eve, every cart was in
use, but the shelves were stocked and there were no long lines. I
mention to the clerks how much I like the store and appreciate their
help. I suspect that when it comes to bagging groceries, there are
plenty of griped...don't squash the bread, keep the pie right-side-up,
don't make that bag so heavy....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 16:41:10 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I don't think you should have done that in front of the clerk. For one
thing you hold up the line. And the clerk's job is unsatisfying and
low paid enough that he doesn't need the implied insult. Complain to
the management instead, as you did.

I put everything in one bag, except the toilet paper and the
soda. I told her that the soda is easier to carry without a bag, and the
toilet paper already HAS a bag since it's sealed in plastic.

I left the store ONE bag, plus the toilet paper and soda un-bagged.
Before leaving, I handed her the unneeded six bags and told her to reuse
them. Instead, she tossed them in the garbage.

Then we wonder why we create so much garbage..... and why we're told we
must recycle.

I'm not surprised to hear that these are the rules, since the
supermarkets do the same thing.

They all changed at roughly the same time. They used to pack the bags
so that they weighed about the same. Now they will put two 48-ounce
bottles of something in the same bag, while putting paper napkins in
another bag.

Other than separating frozen food from hot food, or maybe keeping froen
food with milk and other cold food, I wish they would go back to the old
rules. I wish they woudlnt' use a separate bag for the newspaper, and
sometimes I say that, but I don't like to interrupt their routine, even
in a way that might seem to be making their life easier (like putting
two things in one bag), when changing their routine almost surely makes
their life harder. It's one more thing they have to do.

For a while I was saving the plastic bags and bringing them back to the
container they provide, but I've switched to recylcling paper. And
recently I added all those illegal plastic advertising signs I take
down, when I learned they're recyclable. And I'm considering adding
plastic bottles, though I use very few of those not counting milk
Actually recycling is a big pain in the neck, even when it's curbside,
but it's gotten hard for me to through the newsppare in with the
garbage.

I was really ****ed that she tossed those extra bags in the garbage, so
when I got home, I phoned the company and complained about their clerk
being wasteful. They said they require all the things she said, such as
the oil not being placed in a bag of food and cold cuts separated, etc.
I told them I DO NOT appreciate having to make 3 or more trips from my
car to my house, when I get home, particularly when it's winter (which
it was)......

Why 3 trips? The one big advantage of plastic bags is that once you
your hand in the handles of a bunch of them, you can carry 5 or 10 at
once, as long as the total weight is not more than two arms can carry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 06:27:32 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

They probably have a great big recycling bin for bags; at least, grocery
stores have them.

AT my store, it's not big at all. 18" x 18", with an opening that's 12"
in diameter. A pain.

If you bring your own bag, then YOU won't be wasting
bags and you have fewer to carry. I keep mine, with my umbrella, in a
door pocket so I can grab them on my way into the store.

A problem would be that the ones they sell seem too small, and not
knowing how many to bring in with me, since I never know in advance how
much groceries I will buy.

They have advertised on tv some bigger ones, that stand up on their own,
but right now my home-replaced rear window is letting all the rain into
my trunk. Maybe after I fix that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I was really ****ed that she tossed those extra bags in the garbage, so
when I got home, I phoned the company and complained about their clerk
being wasteful. They said they require all the things she said, such as
the oil not being placed in a bag of food and cold cuts separated, etc.
I told them I DO NOT appreciate having to make 3 or more trips from my
car to my house, when I get home, particularly when it's winter (which
it was)......

In this instance you were the PITA, and the cause of being wasteful.
There's no reason you can't have 3 plastic bags in each hand...did you
get yourself some diapers?

I agree.

There is no way I'd have motor oil in the same bag with food, etc

Why? It's in a can and the food items were either in cans or packaged.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 18:06:48 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

You need to get ****ed at the government , not the clerk. By law, or store
policy the items must be bagged in certain ways.

Why the government. It's not law. It's store poicy.

After items were placed in the bags, they can not be reused.

Sure they can. But they don't fit on the dispenser racks so most
clerks will throw away the ones that they started to use.

As Bob said, buy your self some diapers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You need to get ****ed at the government , not the clerk. By law, or store
policy the items must be bagged in certain ways.

Why the government. It's not law. It's store poicy.

I'm not aware that there are any govt regulations concerning what
gets bagged with what either. The only govt regulations in this
regard that I've seen are the few places that ban plastic bags.

After items were placed in the bags, they can not be reused.

Sure they can. But they don't fit on the dispenser racks so most
clerks will throw away the ones that they started to use.

Apparently he's saying it's store policy not to reused a bag.
I can understand not reusing one that's left the store, but not
reusing one that's been on the register counter the whole time
is pretty dumb. If clerks in my store were throwing away bags
just because they aren't on the rack, I'd end that fast. Multiple
bags wind up coming off all the time, by either customer or bagger.
I see that all the time here, but I don't see anyone throwing them
out either.

Overall, I think he has a valid point. The number of bags used
could be reduced by more careful bagging. Here, I don't see any
strict rules like his store has. They do always put eggs and
fresh meat in a separate bag. Also, things like detergent or
motor oil would never be put with food. Other than that, not sure
there are any rules here. I do notice some like to double bag
the heavy items or limit how much they put in one bag. But those
plastic bags around here are pretty tough. I've rarely had one
even start to rip open, and never had one where it split and stuff
fell out.

One big supermarket here was trying to limit the use of bags.
They sold fabric, reusable ones for just $1 and gave you a few
cents discount for each reusable bag that you used each time.
After a couple years, they ended it, saying it had been very
successful. That part I doubt. I rarely see anyone using them.
They do have a bag recycling spot to return the plastic ones
right at the store entrance. I have a big pile here, waiting to
go. Problem is, I never can remember to put them in the car.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04/07/2015 06:47 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I agree.

There is no way I'd have motor oil in the same bag with food, etc

Why? It's in a can and the food items were either in cans or packaged.

During the manufacturing process a small amount of oil is usually left
on the can. True, the amount of oil that would get on the already
wrapped food is probably zero but...?

As mentioned, I'm sure the clerk was simply following regulations.

The cost of the bags is close to zero and they can be recycled at many
grocery stores.

I bring my own bags most of the time
and when they get dirty just use them as garbage bags, so the waste from
my house is extremely small...less than half what most of my neighbors
throw out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

| 1 box of crackers
| 2 candy bars
| 1 one liter bottle of soda
| 1 pack of cold cuts
| 2 average cans of canned soup
| 1 package of beef jerky
| 1 small plastic jar of peanut butter
|
| Forget the plastic bag issue.
|
| Have you considered what the junk food you bought is doing to your
metabolic health?

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder how long
he'll be around to complain. Most people eat some
junk food, but he seems to be doing his grocery shopping
at a dollar store, buying only low-end factory food. I
wouldn't consider any of those items edible in most cases.
Certainly not the brands one can find in a dollar store.

It also made me think of something else:
"*small* jar of peanut butter"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ting-the-poor/

It's an article about how discount stores may often
be more expensive because they're selling small containers
at relatively high prices.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote: "- show quoted text -
Cheney was a bagboy at the Piggly-Wiggly for 17 years, until he was 27
years old. He used to get into fights with other bagboys and
occasionally with customers. He was finally banned from the whole
chain. "

LMAO!! LOLOL! Priceless, Mick!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I went to a Dollar Store and bought the following:

Dildo
Vaseline
Batteries

Jerry? Maybe the clerk got nervous when he saw yer grocery list.
You think?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 6:23:38 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

They have advertised on tv some bigger ones, that stand up on their own,
but right now my home-replaced rear window is letting all the rain into
my trunk. Maybe after I fix that.

If you are talking about those green Grab Bags they advertise on TV they are not very large, but still nice bags in that they will attach to the cart sides and stand up and stay open. If you are interested in these you can buy them at Bed, Bath, & Beyond for the same price as advertised on TV and mostly likely they can be purchased at Target and Walgreen's. If you have a BB&B $5 off coupon even better.

There is another version of these called Cart Helper bags that are about 4-5 times larger and attach to the cart and will stay open. I've been using a set for about 10 years. Great product! I unload them onto the grocery conveyor belt and the bagger puts them back in after ringing up. It has cut down on those annoying plastic bags tremendously

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You need to get ****ed at the government, not the clerk. By law, or store
policy the items must be bagged in certain ways.

Nooooo.

Why the government. It's not law. It's store poicy.

Yes!

After items were placed in the bags, they can not be reused.

Sure they can. But they don't fit on the dispenser racks so most
clerks will throw away the ones that they started to use.

Yes! Yes!

As Bob said, buy your self some diapers.

No comment. :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Frank:
I shop the dollar store for certain items but would never buy something
that needs to be ingested.

+1... and that goes triple for anything from mainland China.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/7/2015 1:54 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I shop the dollar store for certain items but would never buy something
that needs to be ingested.

+1... and that goes triple for anything from mainland China.

Lot of good stuff comes from China but even some of their manufacturers
do no know exactly what goes into their products. I was trying to do
some work for one several years ago and needed to know the composition
of his dyestuffs. After about 20 emails of not getting information I
told him to take his work elsewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 10:12:42 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 7:29:54 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

On 4/7/2015 3:32 AM, wrote:

What I spilled on my pants was in a drain pan. The quart at the store
was SEALED. If it was leaking, it would have leaked on the shelf before
I picked it up.

Still could leak if turned on its side like being jousted about in the
trunk of your car. I've seen it happen and that's why clerks package it
separately.

Putting it in a separate bag is not going to keep it from leaking.

This is true, and I have never seen a plastic quart of oil leak in all
my years. Those old cardboard oil cans of years ago, were more likely
to leak. Sure ANYTHING is possible. The world could explode today too,
but people tend to over react.

I should also mention that on numerous occasions, I have told the clerks
at this store to NOT put one liter bottles of soda in a bag, and NOT bag
the toilet paper. More than once I have had those crappy bags rip open
from the heavy soda bottles. Even double bagged, they still rip. And
there is no reason the Tp needs to be bagged. But even after I ASK them
to NOT beg the stuff, they still do. As a customer, I have the right to
hsve my purchases bagged the way I want them. I find it easier to carry
the soda by gripping the bottle, and that is my right.

I shuld note that since I live on a farm, thee is no garbage pickup. I
have to burn paper and plastic, and drive 16 miles (both ways) to get
rid of cans and bottles. The less trash I bring home, the less I have
to burn, and burning plastic bags are not something I want to breathe.

There is another local convenience store with one particular clerk who I
have regularly gotten upset with. I walk up to the counter with a HOT
sandwich and a COLD can of soda. I intend to eat/drink this as soon as
I get to my car. She tosses both in a bag. EVEN AFTER I CLEARLY SAY
"NO BAG". So, the sandwich against the cold soda gets cold and the soda
gets warm. First off, there is absolutely no reason to need a bag for
two items, and it's obvious this is something I intend to eat NOW. If,
after I say "NO BAG", she bags it, I immediately take it out of the bag,
and leave the bag on the counter.

Clerks should be REQUIRED to ASK if we want a bag, especially for small
purchases.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 2:21:11 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/7/2015 1:54 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Frank:
I shop the dollar store for certain items but would never buy something
that needs to be ingested.

+1... and that goes triple for anything from mainland China.

Lot of good stuff comes from China but even some of their manufacturers
do no know exactly what goes into their products. I was trying to do
some work for one several years ago and needed to know the composition
of his dyestuffs. After about 20 emails of not getting information I
told him to take his work elsewhere.

my GF has twice bought $99.00 q tips from dollar stores.

both times the cotton swab came off and got stuuck in my ear.....

99 bucks at the docs for removal....

Electricity store? harry UK diy 27 July 19th 13 10:49 PM
New store komar1970 Metalworking 3 February 3rd 11 05:09 AM
new store komar1970 Metalworking 1 February 2nd 11 02:52 AM
I think Bush was wrong and Obama is three times as wrong as Bush was. Ed Huntress Metalworking 4 September 10th 09 05:00 AM
New Store Richard Woodworking 1 November 4th 05 05:29 AM