Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patching holes in a steel entry door

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:03:18 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 12:49:03 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:31:19 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:35:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Bondo would work, but you'd have to buy too much to just fill a couple
of holes.

...might look a Bondo glazing / spot putty. Sandable in 30 minutes.

http://bondo.com/bondo-glazing-spot-putty-907.html

The new UV cure adhesives would be the "cat's meow" for that
application (like the stuff the dentists use now instead of amalgam
fillings) - like MasterBond or Loctite UV Cure adhesive

For giggles I'd try a hardening Permatex gasket sealer. Four dabs,
cure, and paint. G

Bondo works good on residential metal door dent & dimples. Metal work
and Bondo is an art.

The only problem with bondo is it is NOT waterproof. If moisture can
get to the back it will eventually pop. That's why you fill the hole
with brazing or fiberglass or filled epoxy first. On a door moisture
should not be a serious problem, but by principal I only use "bondo"
over a sealed surface. Fixes dents, but not holes. Rusty car body?
Braze in patch or fill hole with fiber-glass/epoxy, then smooth it out
with "bondo". I like the "lightweight" filler that uses
"microballoons" instead of talc for filler. It is also more water
resistant.

If it is just a nice smooth small (like a #6) screw hole, the
suggestion of a bit of gasket sealer might not be too far off. I'd try
a paintable urethane or thermoplastic caulk dobbed in and smoothed
with a wet finger.