Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Patching holes in a steel entry door

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:02:56 -0500, philo wrote:

On 03/30/2015 09:25 PM, sid wrote:
The previous owner of my home mounted curtains on the front entry door. I took them down because they looked so bad, but now I have empty screw holes where the screws were for the brackets.

What would be the best product to use to patch those holes ? and that won't crack and fall out 2 years from now ?

It's a heavy steal entry door.

Or a wooden steel clad door. If that, it's probably not hollow in the
corners. If really steel***, it probably is hollow.

I had neighbors with a steel door with a life-time guarantee, the kind
advertised on TV. When the burglars broke through it, the door company
said they would get a free replacement door. Life-time guarantee.

***To find out what it's made of, remove the door and put it in the
bathtub. See if it floats or not. Don't let too many bubbles come out
of the holes or too much water get inside the door.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Since the door is assumed to be hollow, if you put filler in the holes
it may fall out.

Yes indeed.

I'd just use pop rivets and paint to match.

They have holes in the middle. (although that might be cute. )

I might glue a small square or squares of metal over the area with the
holes. with a thin layer of PC-7, JB weld or best,, 5-minute epoxy,
because you can hold it in place until it sets.