Andy Hall

Default bathroom sealant

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:25:57 -0000, "Bob Smith" wrote:

The unibond one I used says it is water based acrylic kitchen/bathroom
sealant. Says it is waterproof when dry. And shows a picture of someone
applying it around a bath on the tube.....

I used an acrylic one about 3 months ago, said it was for bathrooms. It is
still soft, and you can put permanent dents in it with your fingernail.
Part of it is coming away with mould growing behind it. That is in the
shower end of the bath, the sink I did at the same time is OK (less water
around).

At least it will be easy to scrape off so I can put silicone on, it seems to
have the consistency of putty. Is cheap silicone any good, or is £6-7 the
minimum you should pay?

Bob

I've used the acrylic one in the past and found it to be a dead loss
as well.

Nowadays I always buy a decent silicone and never have any problems.
Considering that it is only a couple of pounds more than the cheap
brands, I don't think it is worth messing about.

Another thing that I have found really useful, since I have an air
compressor, is a pneumatic mastic gun. These are really cheap but
very effective - Axminster have them as stock code B41CG at £9.40

There is an adjustment knob on the side to control the delivery rate
and the gun then produces very clean and consistent runs of silicone
completely repeatably. I found that my success with the spring and
trigger type was not that great, but this does a really good job.
It's also very effective for other materials such as Gripfill or
anything else that comes in a cartridge.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl