View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Hey - This can't really be Texas, can it?

On 6/17/2015 2:00 AM, wrote:
On Saturday, June 13, 2015 at 4:04:58 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Do you have statistics on food poisoning by lemonade stand? I know
enough about food handling and safe practice to know the risk is
incredibly low. Lemonade is acidic and has good tolerance to the cooties.

No doubt. But take off the grandfatherly blinders... Not everyone will be as safe, sanitary or careful as you particular granddaughters. I can tell this must have hit a nerve for you to take this so literally. You must know that not all drink stands will be manned by conscientious young ladies with all care being made towards keeping their stand sanitary. Some stands might serve a carbonated drink; some a flavored drink like Kool Aid. Other possibilities exist. Not all stands will be manned by sweet young ladies serving only lemonade.

You don't have any facts about people getting sick from a lemonade stand
though. I could not find any.

I was ****ed off that I saw another soccer Mom that decided that her little angels were above the law, above its enforcement, and she decided what was right and what wasn't. Her kids of course, didn't have to play by the rules because they were obviously special. This of course was decided by yet another self entitle snot that is passing her attitudes clearly onto her kids.

REMEMBER... the only thing the little angels had to do was to get their hysterical mother to turn their sign around and write "donations accepted" or "suggested donation" or something like that. This didn't have to be on national news about the oppression of young children, the unfairness of society, more fodder for Fox news to screech about how America has lost it common sense, and then the Mom and her children on the morning shows talking about how everyone should just use common sense (ignoring the fact they were breaking the law) and then finally wind up on Oprah in tear hoping that the children could go on in such an unfair society. All they had to do is scribble 2 or 3 words on their sign and it would have been perfectly legal...

REMEMBER, all the cop had to do was explain that to the kids and mom.
You get ****ed at the mom over reacting but let the cop slide. Could
have been handled in two minutes and never made the news. It wasn't.

With about almost 2000 folks served over the years, by simply playing by the rules we have never had a problem with law enforcement.

But in reality you are circumventing the rules.

That is absolutely untrue. "Donations accepted" is perfectly legal. It is a well defined statute that is upheld by the San Antonio Health Department, the Sheriff's Department, and of course the Police. All one has to do is put the tiniest, most miniscule effort into playing by the rules and there isn't a problem.

So why did the cop not take two minutes to explain it? Done. Easy.

But if you are s wounded soccer Mom looking for your time in the sun, this was a great stunt. I doubt the little girls had much to do with the outrage, and would probably been fine if they were told to just change two or three words on their sign. I think they were out there for their Dad, not for attention.

It was a great stunt. Made a cop look like the asshole he is. Got what
he deserved, IMO.

I trust the kids with
lemonade more that your potentially improperly handled and cooked food.

Well, we haven't made anyone sick yet. We have two members of our club that have trained all of us that handle the food and we spend a lot of time and money on sanitation. Of the two trainers, one has been in the food industry for about 25 years, owned and run his own restaurant, and currently trains people on proper serving and handling of food. The other works for a food wholesaler that travels doing food shows. He makes sure that temps are maintained, utensils are cleaned and stored properly, that we are all "gloved up", and that any sanitation issues are addressed as needed.

Could be contaminated with cigar ash.

That would be my worry. :^)

We are all careful in the prep and serving area, but still, those pesky ashes can be hard to control. Think it might add a different dimension of flavor to the beans, but not so good in the potato salad.

Robert

How do I know that? The risks are far greater from a bunch of guys,
training unknown, serving cooked food. Accepting donations does not
make up for poor food handling techniques, it is simply a work around
for the normal restaurant regulations. You can ask about it, but don't
ask the police, they'd rather arrest you.