Posted to alt.home.repair
Seymore4Head Seymore4Head is offline

Default There is no single toggle switch plate for a double gang box?

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:01:57 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 06:44:01 +0000, tlcrob
m wrote:

replying to MiamiCuse, tlcrob wrote:
nmbexcuse wrote:

I have an exterior brick wall with a metal double gang box (why I don't
know). It has a square metal cover plate (one that is made of the same
material as the box itself). However, all the other switch covers around
that wall are white so I am trying to find one but I searched and searched
and finally concluded they don't make a single toggle swicth for a double
gang box? or was I looking in the wrong place? There has to be one
somewhere?
MC

Try kyleswitchplates.com

You have a square utility box, not a double gang box, in all
likelihood. Likely a 4 11/16", and the switch fastens to the cover,
not to the box?

It is just as likely a 1900 box = 4 inch square
Best to just measure it.
http://www.garvinindustries.com/imag...ages/g1935.jpg

If so, to use a standard switch plate you would need a "device ring"
to fasten the switch to, and then the standard plate fits the ring.
Painting the metal plate white would definitely be simpler and would
end up looking better, as the ring would still show metal and the new
plate would stick out about half an inch from the surface on the ring.
see
http://www.garvinindustries.com/elec...g-device-rings
for an example.