Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default (OT) Computer monitor V/S HDTV with Computer input

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 14:29:49 -0500, BenignBodger
wrote:

On 1/31/2015 3:34 PM, wrote:
My old LCD 17" computer monitor died and I'm not stuck using a 13" CRT
monitor, till I get another monitor. Although Ebay has some USED 17"
monitors fairly cheap, I'm thinking that I might just invest in a NEW
monitor. I'm sticking with 17" or maybe a 19". anything larger is too
big for my space.

I noticed that a monitor about that size is darn near the same price as
a HDTV of comparable size, and it seems most of the latest HDTV's have a
15 pin SVGA input. (which is what I use).

I already have a HDTV, but it's in another room, and I dont want to move
either the TV or the Computer. So, it would actually be nice to have
another TV as well as a monitor, and have it all in one, so the HDTV
would actually be preferred.

However, I recall being told that the HDTVs dont have adaquate
resolution to provide a decent image for computers. Yet, the person who
told me that was no expert and that was told to me quite a few years ago
too, which may not be applicable to the newer TVs.

Anyone know about this?

BTW: My computer is just an average computer and has standard built in
video card. It's not a high-end or gaming machine. The monitor that
died was a 17" HP 1740, which had a decent picture.

Thanks

It can certainly be done although I, personally, find that my 42" HDTV
makes a crappy computer display despite operating at 1920X1080 resolution.
The problem is a matter of scale -- the pixels are effectively spread out
over a huge area compared to the identical resolution on the 23" computer
monitor on my desk operating at the same resolution. It is just too
difficult to get in the right position to make use of it. So, while the
HDTV (connected by HDMI) is the only display on my HTPC and is fine for
playing back media, I wouldn't want to sit and compose a long email on it;
most of the time I can hardly locate the mouse pointer on that big slab of
plastic.

I wouldn't even consider a tv that big for a monitor. I'd get a stiff
neck from having to keep turning my head to read an email or web page.

I'm looking for a similar size, 17 to 20".