Posted to alt.home.repair
Thane Thane is offline

Default (OT) Computer monitor V/S HDTV with Computer input

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 12:14:16 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 2/1/2015 11:36 AM, Thane wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 05:00:30 -0800, makolber wrote:

If the hdtv has the proper type of input, (vga in your case)
then you should be good to go.
But do check before you buy,, not all tvs have vga input. Mark

Yes, that's right. The RGB connection is the VGA 15 pin connector
similar to that on monitors. I'd advise the OP to check before he buys
a new TV as not all units have it.

Thane

Many computers now have an HDMI output too

Yes, but the OP said he had an old computer.

I was in a similar situation to the OP having an old, cheap machine with
XP which I wanted to retain, but use it with a large screen TV. Finding a
TV with RGB (VGA) input was the fix for me. I also tried changing the OS
on this too, to linux and this worked well too, so my old PC now can run
either with the TV as monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. The range
is limited to about 6 feet, but it works well.

Thane