Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default PEX - Using hose clamps

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:44:02 +0000, aplumbernamedlee
wrote:

also when I retrofitted a water filter. They are extremely easy to remove
with a good set of snips. Just remember to position the crimp to make it
available to get teh snips on. Not all Pex clamps I have seen work the

same
way, but these ones were a snap.
IMHO, the tool was worth it for me, maybe not for everybody. The plastic
clamps you described in your other post would give me absolute nightmares.
Cheers
Gary

Notice that all responses had nothing to do with engineering or anything
scientific such as psi or loads etc.. Why don't all of you brilliant
plumbers do a simple test! Buy a 50 cent piece of pex (you already have
some lying around) and a pex elbow for the correct diameter (probably have
one of those al well) and then attach the elbow using a standard stainless
steel hose clamp! Now try to remove it by force, and you can exert more
force by hand than any lateral sheer force exerted by water flowing
through the pex (I've already tried it and I can't budge the fitting) and
you'll not be able to remove! Doubt you've done as much plumbing work as
you say or you'd know that securing fittings in tight spaces especially in
remodel jobs can be hard and pex tools do not help that any but a
screwdriver fits almost anywhere! A ten cent hose clamp from Harbor
Freight Tools will work fine and can be removed in the future without
damaging the pex! Would love to hear from an engineer about the
foolishness of the above claims!

This looks like another of those old posts from years ago, reposted by a
remailer, or whatever that is called. But either way, I have always
wondered why a hose clamp would not work on PEX. They work fine on Poly
pipe which is generally used underground and PEX has a similar 'feel' to
it. I've actually wanted to try using hose clamps just to see if it
would work.

Hose clamps would be beneficial as far as making it easy to use in tight
places as well as easy to remove clamps to modify the plumbing....
Of course they must be tightened properly!

However, I am sure this would not meet the code!!!

*If I was to do this, I would NOT use those cheapo HF clamps though. Id
buy the best, all stainless steel ones I could find.