Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default PEX - Using hose clamps

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:44:02 +0000, aplumbernamedlee
wrote:

Notice that all responses had nothing to do with engineering or anything
scientific such as psi or loads etc.. Why don't all of you brilliant
plumbers do a simple test! Buy a 50 cent piece of pex (you already have
some lying around) and a pex elbow for the correct diameter (probably have
one of those al well) and then attach the elbow using a standard stainless
steel hose clamp! Now try to remove it by force, and you can exert more
force by hand than any lateral sheer force exerted by water flowing
through the pex (I've already tried it and I can't budge the fitting) and
you'll not be able to remove! Doubt you've done as much plumbing work as
you say or you'd know that securing fittings in tight spaces especially in
remodel jobs can be hard and pex tools do not help that any but a
screwdriver fits almost anywhere! A ten cent hose clamp from Harbor
Freight Tools will work fine and can be removed in the future without
damaging the pex! Would love to hear from an engineer about the
foolishness of the above claims!

Maybe you can explain why PEX suppliers don't sell "hose clamps".

PEX fittings use crimp rings or expansion tools. I'd not use a SS hose
clamp as a end-all solution.

I doubt you've been around PEX much, seen it installed or have a house
'full' of it.
--
"I am the infidel your Imam warned you about." Jan Morgan,Gun
Cave Indoor Firing Range operator.