Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX - Using hose clamps

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015 15:44:02 +0000, aplumbernamedlee
wrote:

replying to Mamba, aplumbernamedlee wrote:
gw wrote:

wrote in message
The Pex clamps I used (see links in my other posting) were actually easier
and faster than hose clamps. The point about the tool cost is valid, I

paid
about $100 for mine. I know the ratchet style operation will not release
until you get to the correct tension for the clamp, then it will not let

you
go further. This calibration makes the use idiotproof, which would be a
boon to many folks working with plumbing (at least Pex).
The one advantage of a pipe clamp might be that you can add one around an
installed conection, with the Pex clamp you need to remember to slide it
onto the tubing before fasterning to the connector. It's surprisingly

tough
to pull the Pex off the connector in tight spots.
So if you object to purchasing a tool specially designed for the job, try
pipe clamps. I spent $100 on the tool, it took me 5-6 seconds to do each
clamp connection, and I had zero leaks in maybe 100 connectors throughout
the place. I had to take off some clamps when I plumbed a valve wrong

and
also when I retrofitted a water filter. They are extremely easy to remove
with a good set of snips. Just remember to position the crimp to make it
available to get teh snips on. Not all Pex clamps I have seen work the

same
way, but these ones were a snap.
IMHO, the tool was worth it for me, maybe not for everybody. The plastic
clamps you described in your other post would give me absolute nightmares.
Cheers
Gary

Notice that all responses had nothing to do with engineering or anything
scientific such as psi or loads etc.. Why don't all of you brilliant
plumbers do a simple test! Buy a 50 cent piece of pex (you already have
some lying around) and a pex elbow for the correct diameter (probably have
one of those al well) and then attach the elbow using a standard stainless
steel hose clamp! Now try to remove it by force, and you can exert more
force by hand than any lateral sheer force exerted by water flowing
through the pex (I've already tried it and I can't budge the fitting) and
you'll not be able to remove! Doubt you've done as much plumbing work as
you say or you'd know that securing fittings in tight spaces especially in
remodel jobs can be hard and pex tools do not help that any but a
screwdriver fits almost anywhere! A ten cent hose clamp from Harbor
Freight Tools will work fine and can be removed in the future without
damaging the pex! Would love to hear from an engineer about the
foolishness of the above claims!

A "ten cent hose clamp from Harbor Frieght" does not clamp uniformly
around the hose, and partucularly on relatively hard PEX I would never
trust one. A more expensive "full circle" clamp as used for fuel
injection hoses MIGHT be acceptable, as it applies the same clamping
pressire all the way around the connection.