Rob Stearns

Default Another long & confused musing

Greetings Arch,

Hmm, I think I feel a tangent coming on......Now I've watched "Antiques
Road Show " religiously for several decades both the North American and Brit
versions, and y'know apart from the odd spinning top I cant remember ever
seeing a larger turning being examined..........Did I miss the big one ?

"Arch" wrote in message
Recently, I was reduced to watching a TV program, "Antiques Roadshow".
No Leif, I was _not the main character! Anyway, a higher value was
placed on objects that were handmade by recognizable craftsmen who used
crude tools and local materials. Granted that some of the most valuable
items were ornate and made of expensive and exotic materials. Also true,
these objects were considered as antiques and not judged against the
art/craft/whatever of today. Nevertheless, I wonder if there is any
message for today's turners, whether hobbyists, tradesmen or artists.

If an original, exquisite near perfect bowl could be made and finished
on a machine and signed by the programmer, would it still be less worthy
than a copy of it handturned and signed? I leave the answer and
explanation to you. It seems the less an object is made by using
controlled machines and the assistance of sophisticated tooling the
higher the value placed on it by the cognoscenti. Turners have access to
threading devices, specialized kit for hollowing, ornamental equipment,
lasers and microwaves. Today's catalogs are full of turning aids and no
telling what will be offered for sale tomorrow. There's no halting
progress, but is there a dividing line drawn somewhere between holding a
gouge on a handrest and programming a CNC? If so, who drew it and where
is it drawn? Maybe it moves around according to the state of the art
and our need to return to simple things. Maybe I'm a nut in COC
clothing!
I know that there a few professional turners remaining who use a pole
lathe and a few others that turn treen and simple things for a living.
In the years to come will their work be the leading actors on the TV
Antiques Road Show? Will there even be TV (or hand turning for that
matter) in 2050? I'll never know, but I hope you guys will post your
opinions, positive or negative, now. An orphan musing is a sad thing.

Just musing on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Arch

Fortiter,