Tom Storey

Default Jet Mini Motor Overheating Problem

EXACTLY the same problem. A build up of shavings around the motor - BAD.

Cheers, Tom

--
Remove the 'p' from 'shaw' to e-mail me.
"Bertie Pittman" wrote in message

I was using my wife's Jet Mini 6 speed lathe today and the motor got
very hot. It was too hot to touch and I could smell a strange smell
coming from inside the motor.

I had been turning for about 2 hours. I was making ring holders from
red cedar. I didn't do any aggressive roughing or hollowing and I
was using sharp tools and cutting ribbons from the cedar.

There was a lot of shavings built up around the lathe and the motor.
I usually turn on a Delta and don't have to worry about the shavings
collecting around the motor so I wasn't paying much attention to the
shavings.

I'm wondering if the reason for this happening was because it
couldn't get enough air flow to keep it cool. And I'm hoping that once
it cools it will run correctly and not over heat.

Although my wife bought the lathe about 2 years ago it only has maybe
10 or 12 hours of use and only used for pens and small turnings.

Any of you all that turn on the Jet mini ever had any experiences
like this with this lathe motor? Any ideas from you guys that know
more about electric motors than I do?

Thanks for any information.

Bertie