George

Default Jet Mini Motor Overheating Problem

That's why it ran in reverse. Capacitor boost determines direction.

Also an indication that the motor might have been overloaded. Capacitor
kicks in when the motor tries to get up to speed. Had an undervoltage
situation with the power company a few years back that ate the well motor
and washing machine, but unless you're on a truly crummy Rural Electric,
should not be a factor there.

As Bill noted, you can take out the cap, clean out the dirt and act as the
starter. If you see a bunch of dark in there where the windings have lost
their varnish, stop. If not, perhaps just a bit of smell, spin the motor
and see how it does unloaded. Could be you caught it in time.

"Harry B. Pye" wrote in message
groups.com...
I just tried it again and I'm afraid the motor is shot.
It was slow starting and on the second attempt it started but ran in
reverse.

You may have a bad capacitor. If it is like my Delta Midi, there is a
capacitor on the motor that can be seen from the rear of the lathe. I

think
this is always in the circuit as I never hear a centrifigul switch

clicking
when the lathe starts. Should be a lot cheaper to replace than the motor.