Owen Lowe

Default Jet Mini Motor Overheating Problem

In article ,
Bertie Pittman wrote:

At any rate I've waited several hours now giving the motor time to
cool down. I just tried it again and I'm afraid the motor is shot.
It was slow starting and on the second attempt it started but ran in
reverse.

I know that sounds crazy but it ran in both directions. At least it
did for a few minutes. I removed the belt and it did the same thing
running free. There was no noise but after about a minute I could see
a lot of smoke coming out of it on from the headstock end and a very
strong smell of buring plastic. Looks like I'll have to order a new
motor if I'm to use the Jet mini cause even though it's low on hours
that motor is bad.

Hi Bertie. My Delta midi experienced this very same problem a few months
after I got it. The capacitor on the motor (under the hump housing) was
shot. Since it was under warranty the entire motor was replaced, but if
it hadn't been within the covered period it would have been pretty
inexpensive and simple to just replace the capacitor. (Ought to be under
$10.)