Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Fearnley Jack Fearnley is offline

Default Finish for a garden bench

I have just completed a garden bench and need to finish it in a suitable
manner. It is built of a South American hardwood (extremely hard!) and
is very light in colour. Lighter than maple.

I would like the grain of the wood to show through but would prefer a
darker shade. It looks quite good when it is wet.

We live in Montreal so it will be exposed to strong sunlight and harsh
winters.

I tried Sikkens Cetol 1re teak on a test piece. A one coat application
looks OK but the recommended two coat application looks like plastic.

I would welcome any suggestions you may have. I would hate to create a
plastic monstrosity. On the other hand I would not want to be finishing
it again this time next year.

You can see a picture of the bench on the cover of Fine Woodworking No.
198 of June 2008.

Best regards,
Jack Fearnley