Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finish for a garden bench

I have just completed a garden bench and need to finish it in a suitable
manner. It is built of a South American hardwood (extremely hard!) and
is very light in colour. Lighter than maple.

I would like the grain of the wood to show through but would prefer a
darker shade. It looks quite good when it is wet.

We live in Montreal so it will be exposed to strong sunlight and harsh
winters.

I tried Sikkens Cetol 1re teak on a test piece. A one coat application
looks OK but the recommended two coat application looks like plastic.

I would welcome any suggestions you may have. I would hate to create a
plastic monstrosity. On the other hand I would not want to be finishing
it again this time next year.

You can see a picture of the bench on the cover of Fine Woodworking No.
198 of June 2008.

Best regards,
Jack Fearnley
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/17/2015 9:48 AM, Jack Fearnley wrote:
I have just completed a garden bench and need to finish it in a suitable
manner. It is built of a South American hardwood (extremely hard!) and
is very light in colour. Lighter than maple.

I would like the grain of the wood to show through but would prefer a
darker shade. It looks quite good when it is wet.

We live in Montreal so it will be exposed to strong sunlight and harsh
winters.

I tried Sikkens Cetol 1re teak on a test piece. A one coat application
looks OK but the recommended two coat application looks like plastic.

I've had good results with Penofin Oil, bad luck with Cetol.

Best Treatment for weathered garden bench [email protected] UK diy 2 April 16th 12 04:00 PM
GARDEN BENCH J T Woodworking 0 September 3rd 07 10:45 PM
Garden bench - RIP Mark Johnson Woodworking Plans and Photos 12 August 20th 07 06:19 PM
Finish for garden bench Jack Fearnley Woodworking 5 April 25th 05 04:35 AM
GARDEN BENCH J T Woodworking 4 February 5th 05 12:07 AM