Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

On 5/11/2015 8:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 5:50:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I don't think that was meant to be a hard use industrial grade tool. But you know, with the right warranty on that setup I could sure see it as being handy.

Agreed. It would seem to have a place, in some/many small tasks.

I could see using the table saw option to cut long shims, rip trim, and make fillers.

For someone without too much experience, I wonder if the saw base (storage box) is not heavy enough to keep the whole from moving, while sawing. You wouldn't want the unit to move while cutting. I suppose, I'd be strictly for small/short boards. I've never used a benchtop saw, so I'm not absolutely sure about that kind of stability, but I'd want the base stabilized, rather than just resting on the work table, which seems to be the case in the video.

Saturday morning, was installing shelves in a kitchen and a door hinge
was in the way at the height where the client wanted a shelf to go.

Obvious solution was to rip 3/8" off the back of shelf.

Since I was installing shelves and nothing else, I did not have the
usual toolbox in the truck with what was needed to rip a 15" wide shelf.

Took a 30 minute round trip to the shop for a ten second cut on the
table saw in order to be completely done with the job

That cheesy Swiss Army tool would have come in handy.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net