Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Watch out Festool and ShopSmith

On Mon, 11 May 2015 11:03:21 -0400
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

This strikes me as the kind of thing you'd give to a teenager so
he/she could make things... same experiential learning bucket as
Erector Sets and Chemistry kits... I had access to a Shopsmith for
that purpose when I was a kid. In regards to both, they have no place
in my shop today.

agree
the target demographic is specific but i think the price misses the
target demographic

a small scale model maker might like to have one handy but $500
is a lot of money for a teenager or the parent of a teenager

the table saw demo was cringe worthy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 May 2015 06:02:23 -0700, Sonny wrote:

For someone without too much experience, I wonder if the saw base
(storage box) is not heavy enough to keep the whole from moving, while
sawing.
You wouldn't want the unit to move while cutting. I suppose, I'd be
strictly for small/short boards. I've never used a benchtop saw, so
I'm not absolutely sure about that kind of stability, but I'd want the
base stabilized, rather than just resting on the work table, which seems
to be the case in the video.

I suspect that some of that shelf matting they sell for RVs to keep the
dishes from moving around would do the trick if the box has a reasonable
amount of weight.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/11/2015 8:02 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 5:50:12 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I don't think that was meant to be a hard use industrial grade tool. But you know, with the right warranty on that setup I could sure see it as being handy.

Agreed. It would seem to have a place, in some/many small tasks.

I could see using the table saw option to cut long shims, rip trim, and make fillers.

For someone without too much experience, I wonder if the saw base (storage box) is not heavy enough to keep the whole from moving, while sawing. You wouldn't want the unit to move while cutting. I suppose, I'd be strictly for small/short boards. I've never used a benchtop saw, so I'm not absolutely sure about that kind of stability, but I'd want the base stabilized, rather than just resting on the work table, which seems to be the case in the video.

Saturday morning, was installing shelves in a kitchen and a door hinge
was in the way at the height where the client wanted a shelf to go.

Obvious solution was to rip 3/8" off the back of shelf.

Since I was installing shelves and nothing else, I did not have the
usual toolbox in the truck with what was needed to rip a 15" wide shelf.

Took a 30 minute round trip to the shop for a ten second cut on the
table saw in order to be completely done with the job

That cheesy Swiss Army tool would have come in handy.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 1:41:56 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
[...]

....and then you could have used the flashlight on the pole to light up the inside of the cabinet. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Took a 30 minute round trip to the shop for a ten second cut on the
table saw in order to be completely done with the job

That cheesy Swiss Army tool would have come in handy.

Yeahbut, so would a clamped cut with a circular saw.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2015 at 1:41:56 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:

Took a 30 minute round trip to the shop for a ten second cut on the
table saw in order to be completely done with the job

That cheesy Swiss Army tool would have come in handy.

...and then you could have used the flashlight on the pole to light
up the inside of the cabinet. ;-)

Or - to light up the truck tire to change it on the side of the road on the
way home...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/11/2015 10:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/10/2015 6:42 PM, tdacon wrote:

And here's the higher-end CelPro line.

http://cel-uk.com/celwork/celpro.html

Tom

Yeah, but that is European and all metric. It is hard to find metric
lumber to cut over here.

You should be ashamed of yourself, Ed! It was pretty damn funny however!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

This strikes me as the kind of thing you'd give to a teenager so
he/she could make things... same experiential learning bucket as
Erector Sets and Chemistry kits... I had access to a Shopsmith for
that purpose when I was a kid. In regards to both, they have no place
in my shop today.

agree
the target demographic is specific but i think the price misses the
target demographic

a small scale model maker might like to have one handy but $500
is a lot of money for a teenager or the parent of a teenager

the table saw demo was cringe worthy

In constant dollars (i.e., adjusted for inflation) the price is probably
pretty close to what the big Erector Sets and Chemistry Kits cost when I was
a kid...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/10/2015 6:42 PM, tdacon wrote:

And here's the higher-end CelPro line.

http://cel-uk.com/celwork/celpro.html

Tom

Yeah, but that is European and all metric. It is hard to find metric
lumber to cut over here.

Nowhere you know what we Festool owners have to go through. It's pretty
much Baltic birch plywood or nothing. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Took a 30 minute round trip to the shop for a ten second cut on the
table saw in order to be completely done with the job

That cheesy Swiss Army tool would have come in handy.

Yeahbut, so would a clamped cut with a circular saw.

If you but power tools from Harbor a Freight you can't fault this tool. :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/11/2015 4:21 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Took a 30 minute round trip to the shop for a ten second cut on the
table saw in order to be completely done with the job

That cheesy Swiss Army tool would have come in handy.

Yeahbut, so would a clamped cut with a circular saw.

Jack up right rear tire. Start truck and put in gear. Run the board
against the tire tread until you reach the desired dimension.

For thicker than 1" it is best to use snow tires for faster wood removal.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 12 May 2015 07:55:17 -0500, Leon wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Took a 30 minute round trip to the shop for a ten second cut on the
table saw in order to be completely done with the job

That cheesy Swiss Army tool would have come in handy.

Yeahbut, so would a clamped cut with a circular saw.

If you but power tools from Harbor a Freight you can't fault this tool. :-)

Just stain it to look like pine and no one will know. You can even
buy knot decals.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Took a 30 minute round trip to the shop for a ten second cut on the
table saw in order to be completely done with the job

That cheesy Swiss Army tool would have come in handy.

Since it uses the Festool colors, cheesy may place a whole new
perspective on things.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2015 18:16:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

No, you missed my point. If you are changing a tire on a dark road,
you sometimes need two hands. Unless you stick the flashlight in your
mouth or up your ass, there is no way to hold it and aim it exactly
where needed. A regular flashlight has to be propped up on a rock or
some sort of makeshift holder. This is the holder.

As you point out at 0:48, --- versatility

True - but that is a bit of overkill simply to light up a work area like
that. Lots of other ways can accomplish the same thing that do not pretend
to justify a product like this. Not buying the argument to support this
one.

Sure, there are many ways. I have a few LED lanterns, for instance,
great when the power goes out. It all depends on what you have where
you are when needed. It is just one of many possibilities.

With the light pointed down and a filter over the light it could be used as
a dark room enlarger. What? :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/13/2015 12:05 AM, Leon wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2015 18:16:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

[snip]
Sure, there are many ways. I have a few LED lanterns, for instance,
great when the power goes out. It all depends on what you have where
you are when needed. It is just one of many possibilities.

With the light pointed down and a filter over the light it could be used as
a dark room enlarger. What? :-)

Next extended power outage when the kids get bored, you can set it up
and give them a shadow puppet show!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2015 18:16:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

[snip]
Sure, there are many ways. I have a few LED lanterns, for instance,
great when the power goes out. It all depends on what you have where
you are when needed. It is just one of many possibilities.

With the light pointed down and a filter over the light it could be used as
a dark room enlarger. What? :-)

Next extended power outage when the kids get bored, you can set it up
and give them a shadow puppet show!

That is not a very good suggestion. If you use up the battery doing puppet shows you won't be able to use the table saw while the power is off.

Granted, with no power you would be using the table saw in the dark, but that's an entirely different issue.
Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

That is not a very good suggestion. If you use up the battery doing
puppet shows you won't be able to use the table saw while the power is
off.

Granted, with no power you would be using the table saw in the dark,
but that's an entirely different issue.

That might be a good time to change the tires on your bandsaw. Then it
might be worth setting the light up on the stand. :-)

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 May 2015 22:50:46 -0400
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

In constant dollars (i.e., adjusted for inflation) the price is
probably pretty close to what the big Erector Sets and Chemistry Kits
cost when I was a kid...

they were expensive too but this gadget would probably be cheap
compared adjusting an erector set price for inflation

but $500 is still a lot of money and they could get rid of the
flashlight to shave off some $

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 May 2015 10:07:37 -0700
Electric Comet wrote:

this graphic

https://i.imgur.com/nBN0mbS.jpg

would support the contention that thiss gadget is cheaper most likely
than an erector or chemistry set

but i don't recall the prices on either of those sets

$100-150 is my guess

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2015 18:16:32 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

[snip]
Sure, there are many ways. I have a few LED lanterns, for instance,
great when the power goes out. It all depends on what you have where
you are when needed. It is just one of many possibilities.
With the light pointed down and a filter over the light it could be used as
a dark room enlarger. What? :-)

Next extended power outage when the kids get bored, you can set it up
and give them a shadow puppet show!

That is not a very good suggestion. If you use up the battery doing puppet shows you won't be able to use the table saw while the power is off.

Granted, with no power you would be using the table saw in the dark, but that's an entirely different issue.

Nobody said it, but I think it's an inherent "problem" with the tool.
It's dangerous, while looking like a Suzy-bake oven.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/15/2015 1:25 AM, OFWW wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2015 08:23:51 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 5/9/2015 10:31 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
My concern is that most all-in-one tools tend to have one thing in common:

It's great that they can do all things, but they rarely do any one of those things great.

I think that would go with out saying. BUT if you are a person that is
responsible for minor items that need to be fixed, this may be just the
ticket to turn to, when in a bind.

Like a handyman maintenance person for apt buildings, etc.

Exactly, before calling in the big guns for simple and minor repairs.