Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

On 4/17/2015 11:03 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:48:57 -0500
Jerry Osage wrote:

I think that the Grizzly's specs, features, and build quality are well
worth the extra $40. Even on sale, the HF dust collector isn't a
bargain compared to what else is available if one wants to filter 1
micron particles, which I do.

what makes a 1 micron particle

and why grizzly

i ask about grizzly since i have a grizzly drill press and it's
grizzly
or in other words based on this grizzly i don't think i'd buy
another one

maybe their quality has improved though

who's in the running for dust collectors
i saw laguna has them and it seems like there are a lot out there

IMHO Laguna DC's are way too much money. Comparison tests don't favor
Laguna because of all the air leaks.
Jet builds a pretty good DC, I recommend the remote controlled and the
pleated filter. Mine is almost 9 years old and works great with the
original filter. I typically change the 45 gallon bags out 4~5 times a
year. 1100 CFM capacity.
DC really don't require a high degree of quality as they are not
precision machines. They simply vacuum and filter the air.

Things to consider.
Pleated filter to make cleaning easier.
Remote control so you don't have to walk over to turn it on and off all
of the time.
A wide path to remove the collection bag. Bags expand when full and can
be difficult to slide out between the support arms.
Being mobile can be handy.