Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Question about ripping poplar

On 04/17/2015 11:53 AM, Max wrote:

I still have a piece of Ponderosa Pine, 2X8X12 that is straight as an
arrow. Got it at Austin Hardwoods here. Came from Mexico.

Speaking of that kinda' thing, there are still a dozen or so 2X12x20(!)
Doug fir up in the hayloft that were from the construction of the small
feed mill and bins we put in the hayloft back in late '50s/early '60s.
Quite a bit of 16' stuff from 2x6 up. I haven't been able to bring
myself to even touch any of it; virtually all of it is totally clear.

I doubt one could order a 20-footer these days, what more find it in a
yard but I remember Dad just called up and had stuff delivered back then...

The barn itself was built right after rationing was lifted after WW-I
(the foundation was poured before but grandfather didn't get the lumber
before rationing hit so it sat for a few years) from SYP. The posts are
three to five 2x6 or 2x8 nailed together and the ones down the sides of
the two aisles of the mow to the break of the roof pitch are 20-ft as
well. It's nearly 30-ft from the mow floor to the center ridge, just
under 40 to the ground...standing on the roof ridge while reroofing
could see well over the front edge of the 40-ft silos...

I've cut some of the old SYP from either reclaimed or lain around and
the growth rings from end are 1/16" max...none of this fast-growth stuff
of today.

--dpb