Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question about ripping poplar

I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each door
will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

TIA.

Dick Snyder
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/16/2015 4:09 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each door
will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

Poplar itself is generally quite stable presuming it's been dried and
not abused in storage. For such a long stile you probably ought to
think about having more than one center rail--three panels instead of
just two, iow...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:
I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each
door will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Hi Dick:

Not sure why you even say "like cheap pine does". I've built doors and
frames out of that cheap pine with no problems at all - after 30 years. A
great number of the doors you might buy from a retail outlet are that "cheap
pine"l It's more in how you build them than what you build them out of.
Are you planning to put a rail between the styles mid way up? If so, this
will significantly strenthen the door. 17" wide is quite narrow and even
that "cheap pine" can hold up well for that construction.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

It may or may not.

Cut one or two, 1/2" wider, then trim to size, if needed. If there's no flex, during initial cutting, and you feel confident there won't be any flex, then cut the remainders to appropriate size.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 5:09 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each door
will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

There's no way o answer that. It depends on the wood.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I haven't
done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that needed to be
painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will it spring apart
or together like cheap pine does?

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each door
will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

"Cheap pine"! Clear pine is far from cheap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 17:09:40 -0400, Dick Snyder
wrote:

I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each door
will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Poplar tends to be a lot more stable than cheap pine.
Also sold as "american white wood" - the grain is very fine and
straight..
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:

I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at
our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long
will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Reduce your vertical panel sizes by adding horizontal rails.

I'd shoot for something 30" max or even less for 3 even 4 panels.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:
I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

I often use poplar; in fact, I have 175 brd.ft. in my shop now waiting for
me to surface and chop up.

I have never had any that wasn't stabile. Which does not mean it can't be,
depends upon the particular board.

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each
door will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

I hope you are going to have numerous rails in those doors.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 16 Apr 2015 18:13:35 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I haven't
done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that needed to be
painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will it spring apart
or together like cheap pine does?

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each door
will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

"Cheap pine"! Clear pine is far from cheap.

And "cheap pine" is far from "clear"
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 5:44 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Dick Snyder wrote:
[...]

Yes, I am planning two 4" rails top and middle and 6" on the bottom. I
am making a prototype out of cheap pine that I got at Home Depot that
behaved badly when I ripped it. That is why the comment. No offense
intended.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 8:14 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Dick Snyder wrote:
I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

I often use poplar; in fact, I have 175 brd.ft. in my shop now waiting for
me to surface and chop up.

I have never had any that wasn't stabile. Which does not mean it can't be,
depends upon the particular board.

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each
door will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

I hope you are going to have numerous rails in those doors.

Making a prototype now (out of low quality pine I got at HD). Right now
I am planning the upper and middle rail for 4" and the lower for 6".
That is why I am doing the prototype. I may go for 4 rails. I will put
in 4 hinges so it won't rack too much.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 7:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Dick Snyder wrote:

I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at
our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long
will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Reduce your vertical panel sizes by adding horizontal rails.

I'd shoot for something 30" max or even less for 3 even 4 panels.

Lew

With two panels I have 10 3/4" wide and about 35" high. Weird. If this
doesn't work on my prototype I will add a fourth rail.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 8:10 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Making a prototype now (out of low quality pine I got at HD). Right now
I am planning the upper and middle rail for 4" and the lower for 6".
That is why I am doing the prototype. I may go for 4 rails. I will put
in 4 hinges so it won't rack too much.

Make your prototype out of this, it may surprise you:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Co...vZbqmcZ1z11rx0

Used quite a bit of this select clear pine in a kitchen remodel the past
few days, for built-in, paint grade cabinetry additions, in lieu of
poplar, and in order to match the existing wood.

Having cut a bunch of it, was impressed with its stability and workability.

Regardless of the wood, when doing doors you make your money when you
buy your stock, so be extra choosy. Stick with straight grain, and flat,
straight as an arrow stock to start with.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:

Yes, I am planning two 4" rails top and middle and 6" on the bottom. I
am making a prototype out of cheap pine that I got at Home Depot that
behaved badly when I ripped it. That is why the comment. No offense
intended.

Oh - no offense taken. I wouldn't work with any wood that reacted when
ripped though, unless you were able to run it through again and end up with
a decent board. Perhaps that's what you experienced but just did not
elaborate on.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 4:48 PM, Sonny wrote:
If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will

it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

It may or may not.

Cut one or two, 1/2" wider, then trim to size, if needed. If there's no flex, during initial cutting, and you feel confident there won't be any flex, then cut the remainders to appropriate size.

Sonny

There is the correct answer and that goes for any species of wood. Buy
your wood from a reputable supplier and the chance decreases.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 6:45 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Dick Snyder wrote:

I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at
our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long
will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Reduce your vertical panel sizes by adding horizontal rails.

I'd shoot for something 30" max or even less for 3 even 4 panels.

Lew

Adding more rails does not shorten 85" long stiles. The stiles are just
as likely to distort with or with out more than a top and bottom rail
and multiple panels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Adding more rails does not shorten 85" long stiles. The stiles are
just as likely to distort with or with out more than a top and bottom
rail and multiple panels.

Now I would expect that the rails would indeed stabilize the stiles. Seems
sort of obvious since you're shortening the unsupported length.
--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2015 6:39 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Adding more rails does not shorten 85" long stiles. The stiles are
just as likely to distort with or with out more than a top and bottom
rail and multiple panels.

Now I would expect that the rails would indeed stabilize the stiles. Seems
sort of obvious since you're shortening the unsupported length.

The door panels can still warp along the length, front to back, with
multiple rails. The rails will help work against the stiles bowing
toward or away from each other but not away or towards the cabinet itself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Adding more rails does not shorten 85" long stiles. The stiles are
just as likely to distort with or with out more than a top and bottom
rail and multiple panels.

Now I would expect that the rails would indeed stabilize the stiles.
Seems
sort of obvious since you're shortening the unsupported length.

The door panels can still warp along the length, front to back, with
multiple rails. The rails will help work against the stiles bowing
toward or away from each other but not away or towards the cabinet itself.

OOPS The door STILES not the door panels can still warp along the
length front to back.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each door
will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

Poplar I have ripped did neither, that was about 100 BF. Now that does
not mean anything really.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 10:53 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/16/2015 8:10 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Making a prototype now (out of low quality pine I got at HD). Right now
I am planning the upper and middle rail for 4" and the lower for 6".
That is why I am doing the prototype. I may go for 4 rails. I will put
in 4 hinges so it won't rack too much.

Make your prototype out of this, it may surprise you:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Co...vZbqmcZ1z11rx0

That stuff is actually pretty darn good and not tough to get good
pieces. As with any wood look at each piece, but it typically is as
good as you get.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/15 10:13 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/16/2015 10:53 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/16/2015 8:10 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Making a prototype now (out of low quality pine I got at HD).
Right now I am planning the upper and middle rail for 4" and the
lower for 6". That is why I am doing the prototype. I may go for
4 rails. I will put in 4 hinges so it won't rack too much.

Make your prototype out of this, it may surprise you:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Co...vZbqmcZ1z11rx0

That stuff is actually pretty darn good and not tough to get good
pieces. As with any wood look at each piece, but it typically is as
good as you get.

Yeah, it can be a time saver. Expensive but can get you out of a bind
if you're in a hurry.
The Lowes near me used to carry a gorgeous selection of Douglas Fir.
Talk about straight grain! Man, I miss that stuff.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:30:04 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

wrote in news:vgf0jat9romhstqsj45uegkaohusttun9g@
4ax.com:

Poplar tends to be a lot more stable than cheap pine.
Also sold as "american white wood" - the grain is very fine and
straight..

Beware of using the term "white wood". Prior to the appearance
of Home Depot and the other "big boxes", white wood was a common
name for poplar (and it still is amoung some lumbermen). Home
Depot et al have instead used "white wood" to refer to SPF
(spruce/pine/fir) - in other words, "cheap pine".

John

Up here in Canadfa Home Despot still sells "american white wood" -
and it is Poplar or Aspen
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2015 9:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/17/15 10:13 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/16/2015 10:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Co...vZbqmcZ1z11rx0

That stuff is actually pretty darn good and not tough to get good
pieces. As with any wood look at each piece, but it typically is as
good as you get.

Yeah, it can be a time saver. Expensive but can get you out of a bind
if you're in a hurry.
The Lowes near me used to carry a gorgeous selection of Douglas Fir.
Talk about straight grain! Man, I miss that stuff.

McCoy's (3/4 mile from me) used to carry yellow pine that was
exceptional. I made a lot of "stuff" with it.
I still have a piece of Ponderosa Pine, 2X8X12 that is straight as an
arrow. Got it at Austin Hardwoods here. Came from Mexico.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 12:53:15 PM UTC-4, Max wrote:
On 4/17/2015 9:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/17/15 10:13 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/16/2015 10:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Co...vZbqmcZ1z11rx0

That stuff is actually pretty darn good and not tough to get good
pieces. As with any wood look at each piece, but it typically is as
good as you get.

Yeah, it can be a time saver. Expensive but can get you out of a bind
if you're in a hurry.
The Lowes near me used to carry a gorgeous selection of Douglas Fir.
Talk about straight grain! Man, I miss that stuff.

McCoy's (3/4 mile from me) used to carry yellow pine that was
exceptional. I made a lot of "stuff" with it.
I still have a piece of Ponderosa Pine, 2X8X12 that is straight as an
arrow. Got it at Austin Hardwoods here. Came from Mexico.

http://www.threepointsdesign.com/new...rrow-wvane.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/17/2015 9:53 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/17/15 10:13 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/16/2015 10:53 PM, Swingman wrote:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Co...vZbqmcZ1z11rx0

That stuff is actually pretty darn good and not tough to get good
pieces. As with any wood look at each piece, but it typically is as
good as you get.

Yeah, it can be a time saver. Expensive but can get you out of a bind
if you're in a hurry.
The Lowes near me used to carry a gorgeous selection of Douglas Fir.
Talk about straight grain! Man, I miss that stuff.

McCoy's (3/4 mile from me) used to carry yellow pine that was
exceptional. I made a lot of "stuff" with it.
I still have a piece of Ponderosa Pine, 2X8X12 that is straight as an
arrow. Got it at Austin Hardwoods here. Came from Mexico.

http://www.threepointsdesign.com/new...rrow-wvane.jpg

LOL. Nah, wasn't that kind of arrow. There's a mountain pass in New
Mexico called "Flechado Chueco"....Crooked Arrow.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 04/17/2015 11:53 AM, Max wrote:

I still have a piece of Ponderosa Pine, 2X8X12 that is straight as an
arrow. Got it at Austin Hardwoods here. Came from Mexico.

Speaking of that kinda' thing, there are still a dozen or so 2X12x20(!)
Doug fir up in the hayloft that were from the construction of the small
feed mill and bins we put in the hayloft back in late '50s/early '60s.
Quite a bit of 16' stuff from 2x6 up. I haven't been able to bring
myself to even touch any of it; virtually all of it is totally clear.

I doubt one could order a 20-footer these days, what more find it in a
yard but I remember Dad just called up and had stuff delivered back then...

The barn itself was built right after rationing was lifted after WW-I
(the foundation was poured before but grandfather didn't get the lumber
before rationing hit so it sat for a few years) from SYP. The posts are
three to five 2x6 or 2x8 nailed together and the ones down the sides of
the two aisles of the mow to the break of the roof pitch are 20-ft as
well. It's nearly 30-ft from the mow floor to the center ridge, just
under 40 to the ground...standing on the roof ridge while reroofing
could see well over the front edge of the 40-ft silos...

I've cut some of the old SYP from either reclaimed or lain around and
the growth rings from end are 1/16" max...none of this fast-growth stuff
of today.

--dpb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/16/2015 5:09 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I haven't
done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that needed to be
painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will it spring apart
or together like cheap pine does?

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each door
will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

If you have good stock then there should be no problems with 'springing'
but if you are unlucky enough to buy crap wood then almost anything is
possible when ripping. You'd be surprised at how many different directions
a single piece of wood will try to go when relieving its internal stresses.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dick Snyder wrote:

I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long
will it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

you never know what the piece you have will do until you do it
i don't know poplar at all

2-inches seems narrow for 85-inch length

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in news:mgsb8v$chl$3
@dont-email.me:

Dick Snyder wrote:

If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long
will it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

2-inches seems narrow for 85-inch length

It's reasonable for a stile. A 2" stile on each side of a
17" door means the panel will be 13" wide. Make the stiles
any wider and the panel would be so narrow that it would
look odd.

John

Ripping Mahogany and Burn, and a Cedar question BrianSiano Woodworking 10 April 9th 10 04:56 PM
An a-pawling infeed ripping question??? BoyntonStu Woodworking 1 April 18th 08 03:13 AM
Ripping on TS Rocky Woodworking 17 February 3rd 07 03:57 AM
question about ripping Rudy Fichtenbaum Woodworking 13 January 20th 06 03:58 AM
Ripping 1x4 to 1x3 [email protected] Woodworking 44 September 2nd 05 08:56 PM