Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Question about ripping poplar

On 4/16/2015 8:10 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

Making a prototype now (out of low quality pine I got at HD). Right now
I am planning the upper and middle rail for 4" and the lower for 6".
That is why I am doing the prototype. I may go for 4 rails. I will put
in 4 hinges so it won't rack too much.

Make your prototype out of this, it may surprise you:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Lumber-Co...vZbqmcZ1z11rx0

Used quite a bit of this select clear pine in a kitchen remodel the past
few days, for built-in, paint grade cabinetry additions, in lieu of
poplar, and in order to match the existing wood.

Having cut a bunch of it, was impressed with its stability and workability.

Regardless of the wood, when doing doors you make your money when you
buy your stock, so be extra choosy. Stick with straight grain, and flat,
straight as an arrow stock to start with.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net