Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder[_6_] Dick Snyder[_6_] is offline

Default Question about ripping poplar

On 4/16/2015 6:53 PM, John McCoy wrote:
Dick Snyder wrote in news:dvWdnd-z2ruSuK3InZ2dnUU7-
:

I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Some poplar does seem to have a lot of stress in it, and
twists when ripped. I don't know that there's any way you
could identify a board that's likely to do so in advance.

John

Maybe I can see the growth rings at the end of the board. It they are
close together maybe I can predict that it will behave well.