Posted to rec.woodworking
Dick Snyder[_6_] Dick Snyder[_6_] is offline

Default Question about ripping poplar

On 4/16/2015 5:44 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Dick Snyder wrote:
I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each
door will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Hi Dick:

Not sure why you even say "like cheap pine does". I've built doors and
frames out of that cheap pine with no problems at all - after 30 years. A
great number of the doors you might buy from a retail outlet are that "cheap
pine"l It's more in how you build them than what you build them out of.
Are you planning to put a rail between the styles mid way up? If so, this
will significantly strenthen the door. 17" wide is quite narrow and even
that "cheap pine" can hold up well for that construction.

Yes, I am planning two 4" rails top and middle and 6" on the bottom. I
am making a prototype out of cheap pine that I got at Home Depot that
behaved badly when I ripped it. That is why the comment. No offense
intended.