Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Question about ripping poplar

Dick Snyder wrote:
I am planning to make some frame and panel doors for a project at our
church. The doors will be painted. The doors will be tall (85"). I
haven't done much with poplar other than a cabinet and shelves that
needed to be painted. If I rip the stiles at 2" wide and 85" long will
it spring apart or together like cheap pine does?

I often use poplar; in fact, I have 175 brd.ft. in my shop now waiting for
me to surface and chop up.

I have never had any that wasn't stabile. Which does not mean it can't be,
depends upon the particular board.

Just to answer a possible question you might have in advance, each
door will only be 17" wide but very high as I pointed out.

I hope you are going to have numerous rails in those doors.

--

dadiOH