Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

John Grossbohlin wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

I understand most of your sentiment Bill, but I wouldn't put the
heat on Lowe's. They're just a retailer - not a manufacturer. They
can only sell what the manufacturer produces - and they have to do
that at some profit level.

Up to a point this is true. However, stores like Home Depot, Lowes,
Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and other high volume stores often have products
packaged to their specs and labeling.

Yeah. Like a half dozen bolts in a little plastic bag.

...and without mentioning that they also are a very low grade bolt or
screw! I've been sticking to a local hardware store for most of my
fasteners as they stock higher quality fasteners for the professionals
to whom they cater. The funny thing is that the better quality fasteners
at the local hardware store are often significantly less expensive than
the poor quality stuff at Home Depot and Lowe's. Home Depot and Lowe's
have got to be making a killing on fasteners!

Probably making a killing on the ones that they actually sell but I have
to suspect a large quantity of these loose items are walking out the
door. I suspect that the cheap and loose NB&F are a PIA necessity.