Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

On 4/15/2015 11:11 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Take a look at Kibbles N Bit in particular. Our Kroger store is more
expensive on the larger bags. We used to buy 40# bags for our Great
Dane and that changed to 32# then 30#. We much prefer buying 2, 16#
bags than the 30# bag even if it worked out to the same price. She
goes through about 10#'s a week.

Ugh - too many options to look at on-line (Walmart.com). I picked
(completely arbitrary...) two different packagings of the same product.
That product is Original Savory Beef and Chicken. Don't know if that's what
you use, or how it compares to what you use. But - for $19.98, you can get
35 pounds of this stuff which should be enough to feed both the elderly
husband and wife, as well as the mutt. For $22.98, you can purchase 45
pounds of the same stuff. That's a lot more to keep the wife happy, not to
mention some tasty snacking while watching TV at night! The 16 pound
packaging is 10.98 - hell I could eat through that in just a couple nights
of watching TV.

So - at $10.08 for 16 lbs - $0.69 per pound
at $19.98 for 35 lbs - $0.57 per pound
at $22.98 for 45 lbs - $0.51 per pound

Maybe you are seeing some different packaging offers at your local Kroger
store, but the basic numbers prove out the bulk purchase advantage,
notwithstanding some manufacturer's special offering.

If you are looking on line there could be several factors added. If the
product is shipped direct from the the company warehouse vs. shipped to
the store and stocked the pricing may make more sense. The on line
store is not handling the product as much as if you go to the store to
buy it so more for less makes sense.