Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

On Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 10:20:01 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/14/2015 10:20 PM, Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

The price increase didn't bug me that much this year. What bugged me
was when I got home I found out there are now only 28 bags in the box
instead of 30! Along with the price increase, it bugged me...lol
There are cheaper options, and will be choosing one of them. My new
choice is unlikely to involve either Lowes or Hefty.
I understand most of your sentiment Bill, but I wouldn't put the heat on
Lowe's. They're just a retailer - not a manufacturer. They can only
sell
what the manufacturer produces - and they have to do that at some profit
level.

We'll see if they notice when I buy in bulk online and remove them both
from my radar.

I was just thinking today how the availability of credit, along with
poor judgement on the part of many consumers, has advanced car prices to
where they are today. Make people pay cash and see what happens! ; )
Is that a "silly" notion? If so, perhaps only because we have been
marketed to so much that we think a certain way?

Mike, It seems to me that the corps you are looking out for want an
"ever-increasing" profit level.

Is that fair to the person on a fixed income (basically spending "old
money")?

Has anyone noticed how buying in larger quantities is more expensive per
pound than smaller quantities? We have noticed that "2" 16# bags of dog
food are less expensive than "1" 30# bag of dog food. And that 30# bag
used to be 40#.

This may be true in some cases, but I'd be willing to wager that in most cases, the price per pound/ounce/each etc. is lower for the larger size option. I always review the unit pricing label before making a selection to know for sure.

However, one also has to consider how a coupon can factor into this. In many cases, the use of a coupon can reduce the price of the smaller size option to a point where the unit pricing is lower than with the larger size. It all depends on the ratio of the coupon value to the price of the product.