Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

On 4/15/2015 5:02 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 23:20:24 -0400, Bill
wrote:

We'll see if they notice when I buy in bulk online and remove them both
from my radar.

They won't. Don't wait for the phone to ring.

Mike, It seems to me that the corps you are looking out for want an
"ever-increasing" profit level.

Is that fair to the person on a fixed income (basically spending "old
money")?

I don't see how anyone is looking out for the increasing profit level.
Lowes buys products and resells them with a markup. That has gone on
for centuries. If the supplier raises prices, the sell must too. In a
sense, they have the same fixed income that you have. It is based on
the markup of what they sell.

That is correct, BUT the retailer is not required or locked into a fixed
particular or specific profit margin. They can change that on a whim.
A retailer would be foolish to set everything at a specific mark up and
not tweak it on a routine basis. If you have a slow mover you decrease
the mark up, a fast mover you increase the mark up. Ideally you want to
keep the least amount of inventory such that you do not run out of
inventory before the next order arrives.

Go too high and people stop buying, go
too low and you go out of business. I don't like the deception of the
smaller package though and I blame Hefty, not Lowes.

Exactly, this is simply the manufacturer raising prices if the price for
"similar" sized product remains the same. Take a look at coffee. You
used to buy that by the pound, now by the 12 oz. bag.

Fair? Questionable, but life has been unfair for as long as there has
been life. If you can find a better deal on line, go for it. I
would.