Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Router bit for through mortise?

On 4/13/2015 5:04 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 4/13/2015 10:23 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Here's what I found, which seems to mirror my (slight) understanding
of it:

Non-center-cutting end mills are suitable for peripheral milling and
finishing, but cannot make plunge cuts."

In other words, "non-center-cutting" can cut by plunging into the
material, like a drill bit.

Does that sentence not contradict what you just said in the first above,
or did I miss something?

Oops. Yup, that should have read:

In other words, "center-cutting" can cut by plunging into the
material, like a drill bit.

I found a good diagram that shows the difference:

http://www.hsmworks.com/docs/cncbook/en/#Ch03_EndMills

---