Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Router bit for through mortise?

On 4/13/2015 10:23 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Here's what I found, which seems to mirror my (slight) understanding of it:

Non-center-cutting end mills are suitable for peripheral milling and
finishing, but cannot make plunge cuts."

In other words, "non-center-cutting" can cut by plunging into the
material, like a drill bit.

Does that sentence not contradict what you just said in the first above,
or did I miss something?

In any even, IME, all this is basically irrelevant to the woodworking
application for routing mortises.

Years ago I switched to "end mills" for routing mortises for one reason,
and one reason only:

_there were no router bits made, at the time, long enough to do many of
the mortises I wanted to do_

I called Travers and asked to talk to one of their engineers, not a
salesman.

The upshot is I've been following Traver's expert advice on which end
mills to use for over a decade of cutting mortises, with both various
jigs and plunge router, and later the Multi-Router.

Real life experience, thousands of mortises, no problems, and no one
else's GoogleFu to have to rely on ... the one's in the photo work, and
I have yet to have to buy another in all that time.

Do you use an adapter for the 3/8" shank, or have you got a 3/8"
chuck?

3/8" router collets are readily available and easy to find.

For the 5/16" end mills, I use an 8mm collet, which are also easy to find.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net