Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Router Mortising Jig + More on Mortising Bits

On 4/13/2015 7:22 AM, dadiOH wrote:
The thickness of the jig limits the depth of the mortise. Sort of
rethinking and rebuilding, the through mortises (in 1.5" stock) I'll
need will require extra-long bits.

If the cutting diameter = shank diameter, you can cut down a way, remove the
jig and cut the rest by guiding the bit shank on the hole.

That sounds like a pain to do 16 times. I'd probably jsut opt for a
longer bit, or a thinner jig. But I'm curious to know if it's even safe.
Any opinions from the group?