Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Router Mortising Jig + More on Mortising Bits

I built myself a mortising jig today. It still needs a couple of toggle
clamps and possibly one more stop for the work, but it's coming out
pretty well.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguar...7628183501013/

The router moves smoothly laterally, and it's easy to set the mortise
length. I added a movable work guide underneath for more repeatable
results. And I made it to be held in my bench vise, which is very
convenient.

But ...

The thickness of the jig limits the depth of the mortise. Sort of
rethinking and rebuilding, the through mortises (in 1.5" stock) I'll
need will require extra-long bits.

I'm looking into something like this:

http://drillsandcutters.com/1-2-x-1-...mill-qualtech/

It claims 3" of cut depth. Comments?