Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Router bit for through mortise?

On 4/11/15 10:09 AM, Leon wrote:
On 4/11/2015 6:49 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
OK. Now I've got the plunge router. But can someone clue me in on upcut,
downcut and compression?

snip

If it were me I would get a HSS 4 flute end mill bit. Less expensive
than a regular carbide router bit.

Keep in mind these often come in shank sizes like drill bits. You are
going to need to buy a size that fits your collect. I used a 3/8"
adapter in my 1/2" collect.

Here is a double ended end mill bit. Also keep in mind length...

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...MPXNO=28077443

Be aware that many (most?) 4-flute end mills are not designed for
plunging (in metal). Their tips usually don't have cutting surfaces that
meet at the center of the bit. Plunge cutting is typically done with a
2-flute bit.
That aside, I have used a 4-flute end mill for cutting slots just like
Leon describes. I have nowhere near the mileage so I can't vouch for the
longevity, but the cuts were excellent and a price comparison between a
HSS spiral end mill versus a solid carbide router bit (or end mill) is
significant. I got burning if I tried to plunge straight (as expected),
but by doing a sliding start, basically sliding the part sideways along
the cut line as I plunged, solved that issue.
-BR