Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Router bit for through mortise?

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message
OK. Now I've got the plunge router. But can someone clue me in on upcut,
downcut and compression?

I don't think I need the full primer; I get the basic concept of each. I
assume I'll be cutting my through mortises from the side that will show.
Thus I'll need the "up" side to be a clean cut. I read that that downcut
is better for that, it doesn't have as much tendency to split the wood at
the edge. But I'll be cutting through 1.5". It it "bad" to be pushing the
chips down in that situation? Or perhaps there's plenty of chip room
because of the oval hole? (Of course I won't attempt to go through the
whole depth at once). And is there any need for a compression bit here?

One last thing. I haven't even settled on the type of wood yet, but it may
end up being Oak. Can I assume that only Carbide is of any use? Can I
further assume that only Carbide is of any use for *any* router task?

Ignorant minds want to know.

Upcut, with some woods (not oak,) can leave a fuzzy edge, never had it
chip/spit anything. It helps hold wood to router but that can also pull the
bit out of the collet a bit.

Downcut has to keep cutting the chips if not a through hole, clear them
often.

Easiest/best(?) is to drill/saw ot most of the hole and clean it up with the
router. spiral or straight bit.