Posted to rec.woodworking
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default tenon, back, dovetail, mitre hand saw

On Wed, 8 Apr 2015 18:01:53 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

Hardened is the correct word - in fact, I think the process
used is called "induction hardening". As far as I know, all
mass-production saws are made that way today (i.e. Stanley,
Disston, Lenox, etc - anything you'd get at Home Depot or
Lowes). The way you tell is to try filing one - a hardened
tooth is as hard as a file, so the file won't cut it (or,
you could on the makers website, which probably says).

ok
so grinding will work but not filing
I have a dremel somewhere

funny thing is I have some cheap turning gouges that are made
with softer steel and i find myself using them more than my
other HSS gouges

why because i can put a file on them or even emory cloth
and keep them sharp so i can keep turning with minor interruption