Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default tenon, back, dovetail, mitre hand saw

(Scott Lurndal) wrote in news:9W9Vw.220459$IH4.137234
@fx08.iad:

I've had better luck at flea markets and garage sales. Most
recently, a pristine stanley sweetheart (manuf by Disston) 24" back saw
for $10.

Likewise - my favorite crosscut saw is a Disston with a
cosmetically challenged handle, that came from a flea market.
Even with my inexperienced sharpening, it cuts very well.
According to the Disston medallion site, it's around a
WW1 vintage.

I also have a 24" backsaw like yours, which unfortunately
lost it's miterbox a long time ago. One of these days I'll
feel up to trying to sharpen it. It's an impressive looking
thing compared to a modern backsaw.

John