Posted to rec.woodworking
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default tenon, back, dovetail, mitre hand saw

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 21:31:42 +0000 (UTC)
John McCoy wrote:

Since you mention this, and you also mentioned setting teeth,
be aware that any saw you buy at Harbor Freight, Home Depot,
etc, likely has hardened teeth that you cannot sharpen; nor

How do I tell if they are hardened
or is the correct word here tempered

can you set them (they'll break off), altho you can reduce
the set as has been suggested.

I'd likely break them off trying to alter the set

(I agree with you on the price of "antique" tools, but that's
because most sellers are not knowledgeable, and just copy the
price they see on someone else's website for something that
looks similar. That problem exists for pretty much anything
antique, not just tools).

I did look at prices for completed auctions and the prices are
too high for me.

There are a lot of unsavvy sellers that do those things and worse
maybe unsavvy is generous

Another interesting thing I've seen on ebay is that prices for veritas
things sell very close to new prices and I think I saw one sell for
more

Auction frenzy syndrome