Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default tenon, back, dovetail, mitre hand saw

"Electric Comet" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 17:16:29 +0000 (UTC)
Larry Blanchard wrote:

BTW, get one with replaceable blades - sharpening a Japanese saw is a
job for an expert. But they last a long time.

was concerned about the sharpening after looking at the blade closeup
like to be able to sharpen them myself
still leaves options though

There are "feather" files for that purpose. Easily available, here are
some...
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,43089&p=32951

Personally, I would never bother sharpening one. First of all, there are
200+ teeth; secondly, the steel is very hard and it will be a long time
before they need sharpening. I still use (occasionly) one I bought 40 years
ago. I have others too but it is my favorite...missing some teeth near the
heel so I just don't use that part.

--

dadiOH