Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 17:55:42 -0500, Leon wrote:

And again I don't condemn any one for making as much money as they can
by doing what they want to do. This is how we have been conditioned to
think in our society. You get all you can get while the getting is
good, you are entitled. And "IMHO" that is the problem.

That's a pretty good summary. The problem lies in the "want to do"
part. I've known a lot of computer programmers who hate what they do but
got into it because it paid well. And since there are so few good ones
to go around, they get away with it.

As an aside, I started in the late '50s. Companies were trying to devise
tests to find people they could train to do programming.Never did get a
really good test, but the best they came up with was 3 questions:

1. Do you like to do crossword puzzles?
2. Do you like to take tests?
3. Do you like to do jigsaw puzzles?

If you said no to all 3, they showed you the door. If you said yes to
all 3 they offered you the corner office :-). It did weed out the ones
who were hopeless, but wasn't as good at finding only the excellent
ones. A lot of mediocre to just adequate passed the test.