Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] krw@zzz.com is offline

Default Cudos to Apex Tool Group

On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:19:49 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/22/2015 6:04 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2015 16:03:24 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 3/22/15 3:53 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 3:36 PM, Bill wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 3/22/15 1:55 PM, Leon wrote:

Why does a common laborer feel entitled to be paid a salary
way beyond what he actually brings to the work force? Why
do certain laborers, factory workers for instance, feel that
they should earn what some doctors earn, of for that matter
more than our educators? Entitlement. Is it even a small
wonder why China and Mexico workers have replaced American
workers? Now that the US and other countries became majorly
involved in world trade we now see how our labor force was
way over paid for their production. Yes China and Mexico
built-products are on occasion not of the same quality than
what we can build here but that will change. Even though
their products are often inferior they absolutely offer a
better value, you get what you pay for. 50 years ago we
imported way less quality products from Japan than we do from
China and Mexico. Now if it is made in Japan I choose that
product rather than, over priced and lesser quality American
made. Just look at the American automobile industry. Plain
and simple the American automobile industry is in the shape
it is in because of workers with entitlement issues and the
unions that supposedly represented them.

That has been my contention for the longest time. The unions,
which were needed at one time and did an incredible service to
the labor force, have now brainwashed people with high school
educations and little to no skilled training that they are
worth $50k +

Do you think standing on an assembly line with big, sharp, heavy
metal things swinging by you all day sounds like a "fun" job to
do Everyday?

WTF does fun have to do with anything!?

My wife went to school for years to earn 3 degrees, went through
internships, training and continuing education, had to pass
licensing exams, and had 10 years experience before she started
making that kind of money. I've never heard her once describe her
job as "fun."

Relatively speaking, I'll bet her job is "fun". Ask her about her
working conditions or her risk of being injured on the job, for
instance. I don't work on the assembly line, I just know some folks
who have. I agree with you that they are over-payed, but not as
over-payed as you think they are.

I though we had OSHA for that. I'm pretty sure there are dozens and
dozens of safety procedures and devices in place on every assembly line
in this country. If there some that aren't safe, they should be made
safer. But what does that have to do with employee pay?
Are you saying you'd rather have higher pay than a safe working
environment?

How about all the roofers around here who don't have safety gear like
harnesses? Because I can guarantee their jobs are way more dangerous
than any auto assembly line job. Are these roofers entitled to $50k/yr
plus benefits and retirement just because they have a dangerous job?

I'd bet those roofers have safety equipment that goes unused because
it slows them down.

To tell you the truth I think most roofers in Texas would not recognize
safety equipment.
I think they do however think of a ladder as a safety item for getting
down off of a roof. And they sit on big foam rubber blocks to keep from
being burned by the scorching hot shingles.

It's the same here. I see the monkeys climbing all over 15:12 roofs,
with no safety equipment. I'm sure it's in the truck, though (and the
boss "thinks" it's being used).