Posted to rec.woodworking
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default SawStop vs. Bosch-- Let the Games Begin!!

On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 13:57:19 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Ok, to be completely honest as to how this works the aluminum block
is not fired. It is under spring tension and held in place by a
fusable link. When the machine detects skin contact an electrical
charge is sent to melt the fusable link and the spring pushes the
aluminum part of the brake into the blade. The rotation of the blade
does the rest, it naturally cuts and jams into the block like it
would into a piece of wood.

Interesting implementation
wonder if this idea came from industry to if it's a novel idea/approach

I have yet to see a blade destroy itself after this event, and I have
seen it happen many times in demonstrations. Certainly the blade is
damaged to some extent and may certainly not be worth repairing but
is a far cry from being non survivable or destroyed.

damage is what
bent/warped blade or fractures or

tooth. But again I would certainly want to have the blade checked
out before reusing.

Who would check it out to your satisfaction and what would they charge

I would just try the blade and see if it works

BTW in the bosch video I thought I saw the blade out of balance or
off center when it was restarted
maybe it was just the logo on the blade

Now having said all of this the force of the motor is gone when the
blade drops and the brake trips so I am certain that this minimizes
damage to both the blade and brake.

makes sense but like below depends on the blade

Can the blade be reused if the safety system brake is activated?
When the safety system activates, it will often damage one to two
teeth on the blade. It is usually cost-effective to have high-quality
blades repaired by a qualified blade sharpening service. However,
less expensive blades should be discarded.

a visual inspection and a test run seems adequate