Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default SawStop vs. Bosch-- Let the Games Begin!!

On 3/21/2015 5:58 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 21 Mar 2015 14:23:38 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/21/2015 11:09 AM,
wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 23:28:50 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/18/2015 8:56 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/18/15 8:55 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 20:15:38 -0500, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 3/18/15 8:12 PM,
wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 17:00:58 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 12:23:16 -0500 -MIKE-
wrote:

Their brake doesn't destroy the blade and works on any sized
bade,

SS destrroys the blade when deployed?

And the brake mechanism, about $200 all in. OTOH, when you pull
your hand back, you'll be happy to reach into your wallet with it.
;-)

You'll do the same with the Bosch, except you'll be right back to work
after switching the brake firing mechanism around because it works
twice, instead of once. PLUS you won't be out a blade.

Sure. Wake me up when it comes on a real saw.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to carry my cabinet saw out to
a work site.

No kidding.... I think it was very wise of Bosch to go for the
contractor market as those guys are the ones that spend the most hours
in a day and working in locations that are not great.
Between Bosch and SawStop I think there is going to be faster
acceptance/switch to these saws than the stationary units.

Maybe but I haven't seen a table saw at a (new construction) job site
in probably fifty years. The last two homes we've had have been in
new developments, so construction is all around us. Not a table saw
to be heard. ;-) With all of the alternatives, today, why would one
be needed? Construction isn't cabinetmaking, after all.

You see plenty of TS's at remodeling jobs and especially ones where
prefab cabs are being torn out and replaced with job built.

The above video was clearly of new construction rough carpentry.

Well you know, you may not have a complete picture of how all trades
operate everywhere in the country. While I agree that there is less
need for a TS the way homes are built these days true custom homes still
have trimmers and carpenters that use TS's on site. Swingman built a
custom home about 5 years ago and while he and I did prebuild the
kitchen cabinets off site he did have a bench top TS on site. I highly
suspect flooring guys would have one too given the fact that you are
going to have to rip some pieces.
And, both SawStop and Bosch both now have similar saws intended to be
used on construction sites with built in stands that go up and down
stairs. I doubt that either flipped a coin for deciding whether to
target this market with their product or not. And given that, with a
safer portable TS available the tide may change and contractors may
decide to have a TS, which can rip and cross cut, vs. a miter saw that
can only cut to length and a circular saw for ripping.