Rick Frazier

Default palm tree wood??

Living in Hawaii, it's not hard to get around here. There are quite a number
of species, and each tends to have it's own character. Most of it looks like a
bunch of thin wooden straws tied together with something that approaches the
texture of soft pith. If you're going to turn it, you need to do so while it's
wet, because it gets pretty soft in the center as it dries. Turn about 50%
over finish thickness, then let it dry and finish turn it. It WILL warp as it
dries, and you need to use sharp tools, but I think it is worth the effort.

It is a soft pithy like wood, with harder sections where the pores are...
Sanding can be "interesting" due to the differences in density, and if you
gouge or tear it, you will be sanding awhile to get it out...

Good Luck!
--Rick

Wizard wrote:

I have access to some palm tree wood. Has anyone turned this type wood?? Is
it any good for turning?? Any info is appreciated.
Dennis