Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default SawStop vs. Bosch-- Let the Games Begin!!

On 3/19/2015 1:06 AM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Wed, 18 Mar 2015 23:17:21 -0500
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

That is not a certainty but I would certainly return the blade to the
manufacturer with details and an estimate to restore. I understand
that some have been repaired.

What happens to the blade?
is it pinched and warped or something more violent

A spring loaded aluminum brake pad with relief holes drilled in it is
pushed up into the spinning blade. It normally rests less than 1/8" from
the blade and is about 2" long. The holes allow the blade to penetrate
deeply into the aluminum. Also the blade drops below the surface of the
saw releasing tension on belts so that the brake does not have to stop
the momentum of the motor too. Because most quality carbide blades can
very easily cut through aluminum I don't believe the damage is severe
but I certainly would want the manufacturer to do and sign off on the
repair. I suspect a few teeth would have to be replaced and the blade
maybe be re flattened. something I have Forrest check for every time I
send my blades in for resharpening.

I am not sure that realistically it will matter one way or another.
Considering the fact that you save a trip to the ER the cost of a new
blade and brake does not even factor in if you screw up.

Can't put a price on having all your original appendages
i didn't know how the SS worked other than I saw the gizmo at
the heart of it, the electronic part not the mechanical

There are those that look at it that way but if you test the limits
of your anti lock brakes by driving more recklessly there is a big
possibility that you are going to do something else that is stupid

well they gather mountains of data because that's what insurance
companies do and these were not daredevils just normal drivers
that thought hey I have ABS so i can expect more from this car
it's a subtle thing that showed up after a lot of data

we will never get that data with tablesaws
i think the most important thing is to understand what's really
going on with any tool

people need to stop and think what forces are involved
what might happen if something goes wrong
which direction will it go, etc.

Exactly and then expect the unexpected.

it comes easier to some than to others

LOL... I bet there are those that would not want that feature to
save their lives to keep from totaling the airplane..

no joke there're definitely pilots that see it as an impediment to
honing and keeping real pilot skills

LOL yeah that same through process is mentioned with TS safety by some.
And that is a good thing but having a safer saw is part of practicing
saw safety.

but it sells more planes, funny thing is those planes without a
chute are really nice and much safer than the previous designs
but it comes down to good maintanence with planes

For me absolutely the SawStop was worth the price. 3 table saws ago
I cut half my thumb off on my TS. No one could believe that happened
to ME. I was pretty strict safety.

sory to hear that

Unfortunately I am not up on the 1,342,657,345,343,001 possible ways
to harm your self with a TS. I don't believe anyone else is either.

It's potential to harm is great but it's overblown and I think that
is even a problem for a lot of folks, they fear the table saw and
operating it in fear is not good combo

Absolutely. You certainly should not feat operating a TS as this is the
first sign that you may not know all of the possible situations you can
encounter if you are not thinking about what you are doing. OTOH you
should feat what can happen if you are careless.
After I cut my thumb I was more fearful of the saw, up until I almost
cut my thumb again and finally realized exactly took place. Originally
I thought I was cutting a piece of wood and had a kick back. I was
cutting a dado. In actuality I had finished the cut, laid the wood
down, turned the saw off, and was reaching over the spinning blade to
grab the far end of the fence to remove it.

New rule.... don't go near the blade after a cut until you see it stop
spinning. Seems pretty damn reasonable to do this anyway but some of us
learn the hard way. But having said that there are numerous similar
ways to be hurt while not cutting wood.

Then add to that no one is perfect and some times we work a little
too long... There are countless reasons. Anyway I can afford it so
I bought it. I really don't want to go to the ER again. FWIW I had

plus as I've seen you mention it's a well made saw

The industrial version certainly is, there is a lot of cast iron under
the table. A comparison I make is that the SS industrial, being a
cabinet saw too, is that it has about 200 lbs more iron in the trunnion
assembly. It weighs in at about 700lbs with the hydraulic mobile base,
52" capacity fence and out feed rollers.
The SS Professional saw I am sure is every bit as well built as most any
cabinet saw in the same price range. I had a Jet cabinet saw and wanted
to step up to heavier and to a larger/deeper table top in addition to
having the safer features of a riving knife and the blade brake. That
was the only reason I chose the industrial over the professional version.

I would say for the vast majority no. For those that throw caution
to the wind, if this does not get them something else will.
And FWIW putting a blade brake on a saw does not guarantee not being
harmed.

I'm glad you said that because the mindset in the shop or around
power tools is very important

gotta know when to do something with potential for harm
I do most cutting early when I'm fresh but may be a luxury for some

if I'm distracted with something try to deal with it then get back
to the saw

Yes, if you are on a deadline you have to often work past your prime
attention time. I try to never use the TS when some one comes up to
visit me in my garage unless they are actually there to help.