Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default SawStop vs. Bosch-- Let the Games Begin!!

On 3/18/2015 7:00 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 12:23:16 -0500
-MIKE- wrote:

Their brake doesn't destroy the blade and works on any sized bade,

SS destrroys the blade when deployed?
didnt know that

That is not a certainty but I would certainly return the blade to the
manufacturer with details and an estimate to restore. I understand that
some have been repaired.
I am not sure that realistically it will matter one way or another.
Considering the fact that you save a trip to the ER the cost of a new
blade and brake does not even factor in if you screw up.
For certain the Bosch will be less expensive for every owner to perform
the weenie test. ;~)

A few things come to mind with these "saftey" features.

the study about anti-lock breaking not having the effect that
was expected. There was a reduction in collisions but not anywhere
near industry projections

in other words people took more chances because their car came
with ABS, over confident in the ABS

There are those that look at it that way but if you test the limits of
your anti lock brakes by driving more recklessly there is a big
possibility that you are going to do something else that is stupid which
will kill you. I don't buy it myself. I'm not one to look down the
barrel of a gun and pull the trigger because I know the safety is on....

another thought, I think it's cirrus planes that have a
ballistic chute attached to the airframe***
but you pull that and insurance says plane is a total loss

LOL... I bet there are those that would not want that feature to save
their lives to keep from totaling the airplane..

and yet another is all the extra cost/complexity worth it
has it reduced accidents or do saw operators take more risks

For me absolutely the SawStop was worth the price. 3 table saws ago I
cut half my thumb off on my TS. No one could believe that happened to
ME. I was pretty strict safety.

Unfortunately I am not up on the 1,342,657,345,343,001 possible ways to
harm your self with a TS. I don't believe anyone else is either. Then
add to that no one is perfect and some times we work a little too
long... There are countless reasons. Anyway I can afford it so I
bought it. I really don't want to go to the ER again. FWIW I had
turned my saw off before cutting my thumb. Yes it was a dumb mistake
and one I repeated one year later. It all happened so fast I had no
idea what happened. Fortunately when I repeated the mistake 1 year
later I did not have as much thumb in harms way and only felt the breeze
of the blade as it was coasting down to a stop.

does removing the need to use tools responsibly make more
irresponsible operators

I would say for the vast majority no. For those that throw caution to
the wind, if this does not get them something else will.
And FWIW putting a blade brake on a saw does not guarantee not being harmed.

***that feature did sell a lot of planes but all the data on
plane accidents and incidents (and there's a lot of data!)
shows that high 90 percent are due to pilot error
ok sure pull the chute when you screw up and walk away
maybe, not all have survived even after chute deployment
I recall an incident early on when poor guy pulled it
and discovered the hard way that the wind was blowing
25knots at ground level