Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default SawStop vs. Bosch-- Let the Games Begin!!

On 3/16/2015 1:39 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/16/15 12:47 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/16/2015 12:23 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
It seems Bosch has built the better mouse trap. Their brake doesn't
destroy the blade and works on any sized bade, including dado
sets. I wonder what the lawyer fees amount to? :-)

http://www.woodmagazine.com/blogs/woodworking-blog/2015/03/16/bosch-develops-tablesaw-with-blade-brake-safety/

Cool!

The games that begin may in fact be in the courts. SawStop has
countless patents on their design, including the blade dropping below
the surface.

If they have not infringed on any patents this may in fact be the
better mouse trap. My gut feeling has always been that SawStop drops
the blade so that the belts go slack and the brake only has to stop
the mass of the blade and not the motor too.

Second issue will be if Bosch will try to compete on the same level.
While SawStop has only been around for 15 or so years, and marketing
for the past 7~10 years, they do have proven heavy duty tables saws,
the pro cabinet saw and the industrial cabinet saw. It will be
interesting to see of Bosch targets that market too or if they will
stay with their bench top models.

And if Bosch is successful is this good bye to the belligerent brands
that chose to not incorporate the technology? Saws with this
feature, Bosch and SawStop just might attract ALL of the consumers.
Bosch has a slight advantage in that it offers the safety feature and
does not carry the burden that SawStop has with those that refuse to
buy the SawStop brand regardless of its benefits.

I'll tell you one thing, SawStop needs better demonstrators.

I just happened to walk into our local Woodcraft and there was a SawStop
guy there demonstrating the table saw. He had the blade all the way up
and when he started the saw it started making a horrible grinding
racket, then stopped abruptly. Turns out he has the blade too far up
and it was pressing into the table insert. I didn't know that was
possible but he did it. It tripped the built-in breaker and he couldn't
figure out how to reset it.

About 10 minutes later they figured it out and he did the hotdog trick.

Genius! The manager that opened my local Woodcraft about 7 years ago
give notice and went to work for SawStop early this year. ;~)