Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default SawStop vs. Bosch-- Let the Games Begin!!

On 3/16/2015 12:23 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
It seems Bosch has built the better mouse trap.
Their brake doesn't destroy the blade and works on any sized bade,
including dado sets.
I wonder what the lawyer fees amount to? :-)

http://www.woodmagazine.com/blogs/woodworking-blog/2015/03/16/bosch-develops-tablesaw-with-blade-brake-safety/

Cool!

The games that begin may in fact be in the courts. SawStop has
countless patents on their design, including the blade dropping below
the surface.

If they have not infringed on any patents this may in fact be the better
mouse trap. My gut feeling has always been that SawStop drops the blade
so that the belts go slack and the brake only has to stop the mass of
the blade and not the motor too.

Second issue will be if Bosch will try to compete on the same level.
While SawStop has only been around for 15 or so years, and marketing for
the past 7~10 years, they do have proven heavy duty tables saws, the
pro cabinet saw and the industrial cabinet saw. It will be interesting
to see of Bosch targets that market too or if they will stay with their
bench top models.

And if Bosch is successful is this good bye to the belligerent brands
that chose to not incorporate the technology? Saws with this feature,
Bosch and SawStop just might attract ALL of the consumers. Bosch has a
slight advantage in that it offers the safety feature and does not carry
the burden that SawStop has with those that refuse to buy the SawStop
brand regardless of its benefits.