Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Centech inspection camera

On 3/6/15 12:39 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 12:53:13 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/6/15 11:10 AM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Any of you folks have one of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...l_s1021_c1015b

The bride jammed a drawer in the china cabinet and no amount of
futzing and wiggling will get it open enough to free the jam. I
need to drill in from the back and think a scope will be helpful
in troubleshooting. Hopefully I can free this with two small
holes -- one for the scope and one for the coat hanger.

Comments on this HF unit will be appreciated.

Larry

I got this one from Ridgid when it was on sale for 70 or 80
bucks...
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Micro-CA25-Inspection-Camera-40043/203258908

I can honestly say it has paid for itself several times over. It helped
me find an abandoned 220v electric line in the wall so I knew
exactly where to punch a hole to remove it. It also helped me find
the source of a clog in our main sewer line which was a nail that
had wedged itself across the pipe. The camera costs less than a
plumber would've charged just to show up to the house.

Someone else mentioned needing a light with the HF camera. That
would kill the deal for me. The Ridgid has LEDs in the camera head
and no external light source is needed.

I didn't actually say (or mean to imply) you *needed* an external
light with the HF camera. I said that I was wondering about needing a
3rd hole for a light - before I even checked the HF site. Then I
checked the HF reviews at the link offered by Gramps and read that
while the HF device does indeed have LED's in the camera head, they
don't seem to be adequate in really dark spaces.

In other words, I didn't mean to imply that the HF device has *no*
LED's like some cameras do. Now, I did use the words "lack of
lighting" in my response, but I meant "lack of *adequate* lighting",
not no lighting at all.

I recognize the reason for the misunderstanding.

The Ridgid also has a hook and magnet that attach to the camera
head for retrieving items using the camera snake itself. So you
don't need to fish another wire in through a second hole. I think
the HF model has that too, but you better make sure it has
integrated lights.

It does have integrated LED's, they just may not be adequate for the
application - per the reviews.

Another plus for the Ridgid model is that the lights have adjustable
brightness.
Sometimes you need to turn them down if there is something reflective in
its path that will cause glare. Other times, obviously, you'd like more
light.

The one thing that intrigued me about the HF model was that the snake
was removable from the base unit. This made me think there might be
longer snakes available to hook on for longer reaches. I don't know if
that's the case, although I doubt it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)